1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pros and cons of taking applies mechanics

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    Hello all,

My major gives the option of taking either applied mechanics, or two separate courses on statics and dynamics.

I'm thinking of the latter, since mixing two subjects into one class usually is never a good idea.

What do you guys think?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2
    What is your major?

And could you post course descriptions for all 3?

4. Mar 11, 2013 #3

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also - make sure you speak with your advisor and perhaps other faculty about their recommendations. One option may be more preferred than the other based upon your interests and future goals.

Best of luck,

jason

5. Mar 14, 2013 #4
    I'm assuming you're in engineering (due to the Statics and Dynamics). I would suggest you do the Statics and Dynamics--if there is a single equivalent course (assuming it is done over one semester) it would be much harder IMO.

Statics was literally the easiest thing ever, however, Dynamics was far more involved (only one section actually--3D motion of rigid bodies [velocity and acceleration]). I can't imagine having taken both at the same time (assuming you have a full course load otherwise).

Actually, I think we need more information--details regarding all the assumptions I made would be helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook