Pros and cons of taking applies mechanics

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mdhiggenz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mechanics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Mdhiggenz
Messages
324
Reaction score
1
Hello all,

My major gives the option of taking either applied mechanics, or two separate courses on statics and dynamics.

I'm thinking of the latter, since mixing two subjects into one class usually is never a good idea.

What do you guys think?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your major?

And could you post course descriptions for all 3?
 
Also - make sure you speak with your advisor and perhaps other faculty about their recommendations. One option may be more preferred than the other based upon your interests and future goals.

Best of luck,

jason
 
I'm assuming you're in engineering (due to the Statics and Dynamics). I would suggest you do the Statics and Dynamics--if there is a single equivalent course (assuming it is done over one semester) it would be much harder IMO.

Statics was literally the easiest thing ever, however, Dynamics was far more involved (only one section actually--3D motion of rigid bodies [velocity and acceleration]). I can't imagine having taken both at the same time (assuming you have a full course load otherwise).

Actually, I think we need more information--details regarding all the assumptions I made would be helpful.