What courses would best benefit an Applied Mathematics degree?

In summary, the person is seeking advice on what courses to take to enhance their degree and make themselves more versatile. They are currently studying Applied Mathematics and are considering adding a computer science dual major or pursuing additional minors. They are open to working in the tech industry or business field. They are also already planning to take courses in programming and numerical methods/computational science.
lucky31501
Hi everyone! I am looking for advice on what courses I should take to better flush out my degree/be more versatile.

Currently, I am going into my sophomore year in Applied Mathematics. I originally wanted to change into a Math/CS degree, but it was full, so I had to settle with taking the minor. Alongside the CS minor, I am also working on a JPNS minor out of personal interest. I know minors do not mean much, so I looked at the possibility of a dual major.

My university allows you to pursue a mathematics-economics minor and gives me the option to get a B.S. in economics after I graduate (even if I am employed) through online courses. If I were to pursue a computer science dual major, which seems to be a popular choice, I would have to retake my calculus courses because there is a prerequisite for them to be taken at the university, so I was a bit turned off by that option.

Regardless, I have a lot of room left in my junior and senior semesters; what would you recommend I take? I am stuck deciding between whether to pursue additional minors, a dual major, courses in varying subjects, or something else altogether.

I do not plan on going into academia/research as I would prefer to work in the tech industry, but I am open to the business field (or anything that I can get a job in).

Please let me know what some good options for me moving forward are!-B

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
perhaps programming and numerical methods / computational science?

Likes lucky31501
malawi_glenn said:
perhaps programming and numerical methods / computational science?
Already going to take those this year 👍

Likes malawi_glenn

1. What are the core courses required for an Applied Mathematics degree?

The core courses for an Applied Mathematics degree typically include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, probability and statistics, and numerical analysis. These courses provide a strong foundation in mathematical principles and techniques that are essential for solving real-world problems.

2. Are there any specific courses that are recommended for an Applied Mathematics degree?

In addition to the core courses, it is highly recommended for students to take courses in computer programming, optimization, and mathematical modeling. These courses will enhance your problem-solving skills and give you practical experience in using mathematical concepts to solve real-world problems.

3. Can I take courses in other fields, such as computer science or engineering, to complement my Applied Mathematics degree?

Yes, taking courses in other fields can be beneficial for an Applied Mathematics degree. Many Applied Mathematics programs offer electives in related fields, such as computer science, engineering, or physics. These courses can provide a broader perspective and help you apply your mathematical knowledge in different contexts.

4. Are there any online courses available for an Applied Mathematics degree?

Yes, there are several online courses available for an Applied Mathematics degree. Many universities offer online versions of their courses, allowing students to complete their degree remotely. However, it is important to ensure that the online courses are accredited and meet the same standards as on-campus courses.

5. Are there any specific courses that would be helpful for a career in a particular industry?

Yes, the courses that would be most beneficial for a particular industry may vary. For example, if you are interested in pursuing a career in finance, courses in financial mathematics and economics would be helpful. If you are interested in data analysis, courses in data science and machine learning would be beneficial. It is important to research the specific requirements and recommended courses for your desired career path.