Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Prove ∇(A x B) = (∇ x A)⋅B - (∇ x B)⋅A where A,B are vectors

1. Oct 22, 2016 #1
    I can prove this relationship by defining A = (A1,A2,A3) and B=(B1,B2,B3) and expanding but I tried another approach and failed.

I read that for any 3 vectors,
    a⋅(b x c) = (a x b)⋅c
    and thus applying this to the equation, I only get
    (A x B) = ( x A)⋅B
    Can anyone explain why this is so?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

That should be the divergence operator ## \nabla \cdot (A \times B ) ## ,and the divergence operator behaves quite differently from a vector dot product.

4. Oct 22, 2016 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Your mixture of products is wrong. Either use
    ##\vec{a} \times (\vec{b}\times\vec{c})=(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{c})\cdot\vec{b}-(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b})\cdot\vec{c}\;## (Graßmann-identity) or
    ##\vec{a}\times(\vec{b}\times\vec{c})+\vec{b}\times(\vec{c}\times\vec{a})+\vec{c}\times(\vec{a}\times\vec{b})=0 \;## (Jacobi-identity).

5. Oct 22, 2016 #4
    exact, it's not the same operation and then we cannot speak of associativity. ∇ is itself an operator noted as 3 derivators components. See its definition, its components are not numbers

6. Oct 22, 2016 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Derivative operators satisfy the Leibniz rule.

7. Oct 22, 2016 #6

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

... which is closely related to the Jacobi-identity or likewise the definition of a derivation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted