1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Prove ∇(A x B) = (∇ x A)⋅B - (∇ x B)⋅A where A,B are vectors

1. Oct 22, 2016 #1
    I can prove this relationship by defining A = (A1,A2,A3) and B=(B1,B2,B3) and expanding but I tried another approach and failed.

I read that for any 3 vectors,
    a⋅(b x c) = (a x b)⋅c
    and thus applying this to the equation, I only get
    (A x B) = ( x A)⋅B
    Can anyone explain why this is so?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That should be the divergence operator ## \nabla \cdot (A \times B ) ## ,and the divergence operator behaves quite differently from a vector dot product.

4. Oct 22, 2016 #3

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Your mixture of products is wrong. Either use
    ##\vec{a} \times (\vec{b}\times\vec{c})=(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{c})\cdot\vec{b}-(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b})\cdot\vec{c}\;## (Graßmann-identity) or
    ##\vec{a}\times(\vec{b}\times\vec{c})+\vec{b}\times(\vec{c}\times\vec{a})+\vec{c}\times(\vec{a}\times\vec{b})=0 \;## (Jacobi-identity).

5. Oct 22, 2016 #4
    exact, it's not the same operation and then we cannot speak of associativity. ∇ is itself an operator noted as 3 derivators components. See its definition, its components are not numbers

6. Oct 22, 2016 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Derivative operators satisfy the Leibniz rule.

7. Oct 22, 2016 #6

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

... which is closely related to the Jacobi-identity or likewise the definition of a derivation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted