Prove ∇(A x B) = (∇ x A)⋅B - (∇ x B)⋅A where A,B are vectors

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter goggles31
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Vectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
goggles31
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
I can prove this relationship by defining A = (A1,A2,A3) and B=(B1,B2,B3) and expanding but I tried another approach and failed.

I read that for any 3 vectors,
a⋅(b x c) = (a x b)⋅c
and thus applying this to the equation, I only get
∇(A x B) = (∇ x A)⋅B
Can anyone explain why this is so?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That should be the divergence operator ## \nabla \cdot (A \times B ) ## ,and the divergence operator behaves quite differently from a vector dot product.
 
Your mixture of products is wrong. Either use
##\vec{a} \times (\vec{b}\times\vec{c})=(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{c})\cdot\vec{b}-(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b})\cdot\vec{c}\;## (Graßmann-identity) or
##\vec{a}\times(\vec{b}\times\vec{c})+\vec{b}\times(\vec{c}\times\vec{a})+\vec{c}\times(\vec{a}\times\vec{b})=0 \;## (Jacobi-identity).
 
exact, it's not the same operation and then we cannot speak of associativity. ∇ is itself an operator noted as 3 derivators components. See its definition, its components are not numbers
 
robphy said:
Derivative operators satisfy the Leibniz rule.
... which is closely related to the Jacobi-identity or likewise the definition of a derivation.