Prove an identity with binomial coefficients

In summary, Opalg found that the problem is difficult and that he did not overlook any obvious approach.
lfdahl
Gold Member
MHB
Prove, that

$\sum_{j=1}^{2n-1}\frac{(-1)^{j-1}j}{{2n \choose j }} = \frac{n}{n+1}$

i have tried with proof by induction, but it is very difficult to use this technique.

I should be very glad to see any approach, that can crack this nut.

Physics news on Phys.org
lfdahl said:
Prove, that

$\sum_{j=1}^{2n-1}\frac{(-1)^{j-1}j}{{2n \choose j }} = \frac{n}{n+1}$

i have tried with proof by induction, but it is very difficult to use this technique.

I should be very glad to see any approach, that can crack this nut.
This looks like a difficult problem. The only help I could find online is a paper Alternating sums of the reciprocals of binomial coefficients. You might find that helpful if you can wade your way through the dense notation.

It is fascinating to see how the formula $\sum_{j=1}^{2n-1}\frac{(-1)^{j-1}j}{{2n \choose j }} = \frac{n}{n+1}$ works for small values of $n$. For example, when $n=4$ the left side is $\frac18 - \frac2{28} + \frac3{56} - \frac4{70} + \frac5{56} - \frac6{28} + \frac78$, which magically simplifies to $\frac45.$ Notice that if you pair together the terms from each end of the sum that have the same denominator, their sum has the constant numerator $2n$ (except that the middle term stands on its own, and its numerator is $n$). But that does not seem to make the problem any simpler.

sorry about my post, absolute nonsense mate

Fermat said:
sorry about my post, absolute nonsense mate
No problem at all! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Opalg said:
This looks like a difficult problem. The only help I could find online is a paper Alternating sums of the reciprocals of binomial coefficients. You might find that helpful if you can wade your way through the dense notation.

It is fascinating to see how the formula $\sum_{j=1}^{2n-1}\frac{(-1)^{j-1}j}{{2n \choose j }} = \frac{n}{n+1}$ works for small values of $n$. For example, when $n=4$ the left side is $\frac18 - \frac2{28} + \frac3{56} - \frac4{70} + \frac5{56} - \frac6{28} + \frac78$, which magically simplifies to $\frac45.$ Notice that if you pair together the terms from each end of the sum that have the same denominator, their sum has the constant numerator $2n$ (except that the middle term stands on its own, and its numerator is $n$). But that does not seem to make the problem any simpler.

Thanks a lot, Opalg, for your thorough considerations and numerical observations. I did observe my self, that pairing the terms from each end of the sum results in a common denominator ($2n$), but I was not able to proceed and get any closer to a final result ...:(
Well, anyway, from your considerations its a "comfort" to know, that the problem in fact is difficult, and that I didn´t overlook any obvious approach. Thankyou once again!

1. What is an identity with binomial coefficients?

An identity with binomial coefficients is a mathematical expression that equates two different ways of counting or calculating the same quantity. It is usually written in the form of a mathematical equation using binomial coefficients, which are combinations of numbers that represent the number of ways to choose a subset of objects from a larger set.

2. How do you prove an identity with binomial coefficients?

To prove an identity with binomial coefficients, you need to show that both sides of the equation are equal by manipulating and simplifying each side using algebraic properties and identities. This often involves expanding binomial coefficients using the binomial theorem and using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication to show that both sides are equivalent.

3. What are some common identities with binomial coefficients?

Some common identities with binomial coefficients include the binomial theorem, Pascal's triangle, and the Vandermonde's identity. The binomial theorem states that for any real numbers a and b, and any non-negative integer n, the binomial coefficients in the expansion of (a+b)^n follow a specific pattern. Pascal's triangle is a triangular array of numbers that represents the coefficients in the binomial expansion of (a+b)^n. Vandermonde's identity states that the sum of products of binomial coefficients from two different sets of numbers is equal to the binomial coefficient of the combined sets.

4. Why are identities with binomial coefficients important?

Identities with binomial coefficients are important because they help us understand and solve various mathematical problems related to counting, probability, and algebra. They also have many applications in fields such as statistics, combinatorics, and physics. Furthermore, identities with binomial coefficients serve as a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and techniques.

5. Are there any tips for proving identities with binomial coefficients?

Yes, here are some tips for proving identities with binomial coefficients: 1) Familiarize yourself with the binomial theorem and other basic identities involving binomial coefficients. 2) Work with both sides of the equation simultaneously and try to simplify each side using algebraic manipulations. 3) Look for patterns and try to use them to manipulate the expressions. 4) Use mathematical properties and operations to your advantage. 5) Practice, practice, practice! Proving identities with binomial coefficients can be challenging, but with practice and perseverance, you can master it.