Solve Sum of {30 \choose i} with Binomial Theorem

In summary, the sum of {30 \choose 0} + \frac{1}{2}{30 \choose 1}+ \frac{1}{3}{30 \choose 2} + ... + \frac{1}{31}{30 \choose 30} can be simplified by using the binomial theorem and integrating it with respect to x. This results in the formula S=\frac{2^{n+1}-1}{n+1}=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left({n \choose k}\frac{1^{k+
mathgirl1
Simplify (find the sum) of \(\displaystyle {30 \choose 0} + \frac{1}{2}{30 \choose 1}+ \frac{1}{3}{30 \choose 2} + ... + \frac{1}{31}{30 \choose 30}\).

Do this is two ways:
1. Write \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{i+1}{30 \choose i}\) in a different way then add
2. Integrate the binomial thorem (don't forget the constant of integration)

I know the Bionomial Theorem is \(\displaystyle (x+y)^n = \sum_{k=0}^{n} {{n \choose k}x^ky^{n-k}}\). So obviously I have y=1 and n=30 but I don't know how to convert \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+i}\) into the form \(\displaystyle x^k\)or \(\displaystyle y^{n-k}\) for all values of k. Can anyone help with this? I'm sure if I can figure out how to write it in the form I need then I can compute the sum using \(\displaystyle (x+y)^n\) and then integrate this but need some help. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that \(\displaystyle x=(k+1)^{\frac{-1}{k}}\) but I don't know how to use this to compute \(\displaystyle (x+y)^n\) since x is in terms of k and not in terms of x. Help please! I am sure this should be simple but I am stuck

Let's look at the first part of the problem...and let's generalize by using $n$ instead of 30:

I think I would begin by writing the sum $S$ using sigma notation:

\(\displaystyle S=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\frac{1}{k+1}{n \choose k}\right)\)

Now, if we use the definition:

\(\displaystyle {n \choose r}\equiv\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!)}\)

We may write:

\(\displaystyle S=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\frac{1}{k+1}\cdot\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}\right)\)

And then:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{1}{n+1}\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\frac{(n+1)!}{(k+1)!((n+1)-(k+1))!}\right)\)

And then:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{1}{n+1}\sum_{k=1}^{n+1}\left(\frac{(n+1)!}{k!(((n+1)-k)!}\right)\)

And then:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{1}{n+1}\left(\sum_{k=0}^{n+1}\left(\frac{(n+1)!}{k!((n+1)-k)!}\right)-1\right)\)

And then:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{1}{n+1}\left(\sum_{k=0}^{n+1}\left({n+1 \choose k}\right)-1\right)\)

Can you continue by applying the binomial theorem?

To follow up, we have:

\(\displaystyle 2^n=(1+1)^n=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left({n \choose k}1^{n-k}1^{k}\right)=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left({n \choose k}\right)\)

Thus, there results:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{2^{n+1}-1}{n+1}\)

Now, if we begin with the binomial theorem:

\(\displaystyle (1+x)^n=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left({n \choose k}x^{k}\right)\)

And then integrate both sides w.r.t $x$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \frac{(1+x)^{n+1}}{n+1}+C=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left({n \choose k}\frac{x^{k+1}}{k+1}\right)\)

To solve for the constant of integration $C$, let's use $x=0$:

\(\displaystyle \frac{(1+0)^{n+1}}{n+1}+C=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left({n \choose k}\frac{0^{k+1}}{k+1}\right)\)

And from this, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle C=-\frac{1}{n+1}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \frac{(1+x)^{n+1}-1}{n+1}=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left({n \choose k}\frac{x^{k+1}}{k+1}\right)\)

And then letting $x=1$, we have our result:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{2^{n+1}-1}{n+1}\)

Related to Solve Sum of {30 \choose i} with Binomial Theorem

1. What is the formula for the sum of {30 \choose i} with Binomial Theorem?

The formula for the sum of {30 \choose i} with Binomial Theorem is (1 + x)^30, where x is the variable in the binomial coefficient.

2. How do I use the Binomial Theorem to solve for the sum of {30 \choose i}?

To use the Binomial Theorem to solve for the sum of {30 \choose i}, you can expand (1 + x)^30 using the binomial coefficients and then simplify the resulting expression to find the sum.

3. What is the purpose of using the Binomial Theorem to solve for the sum of {30 \choose i}?

The Binomial Theorem allows us to easily calculate the sum of binomial coefficients without having to manually add each individual term. This can save time and effort in solving more complex problems involving binomial coefficients.

4. Can the Binomial Theorem be used for any value of n, not just n = 30?

Yes, the Binomial Theorem can be used for any value of n. The formula for the sum of {n \choose i} is (1 + x)^n, where x is the variable in the binomial coefficient.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Binomial Theorem to solve for the sum of {30 \choose i}?

The Binomial Theorem is only applicable for calculating the sum of binomial coefficients, so it may not be useful for solving other types of problems. Additionally, it may become more complex to use for larger values of n.