Prove Irrationality of \log_{10}(2)

  • Thread starter Thread starter jgens
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
jgens
Gold Member
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
50

Homework Statement



Prove that [itex]\log_{10}(2)[/itex] is irrational.

Homework Equations



N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



Suppose not, then [itex]\log_{10}(2) = p/q[/itex] where p and q are integers. This implies that [itex]2 = 10^{p/q}[/itex] or similarly, [itex]2^q = 10^p[/itex]. However, this is a contradiction since each number's prime factorization is unique - [itex]2^q[/itex] contains only 2's as prime factors while [itex]10^p[/itex] contains both 2's and 5's. Therefore, our assumption that [itex]\log_{10}(2)[/itex] was rational must have been incorrect. This completes the proof.

I'm really bad at these irrationality proofs so I was wondering if someone could comment on the validity of my method. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
this is really clever!
i would have had no idea what to have done.
 
This comment is probably somewhat pedantic, but I think it's worth saying anyways.

[itex]2^q = 10^p[/itex] is not quite a contradiction -- it can be satisfied when p=q=0. Of course, it's easy to derive a contradiction from that possibility.
 
Perhaps it's a bit pedantic but I definitely should have considered that case. Thanks for your input Hurkyl!