Prove Minkowski Inequality using Cauchy-Schwartz Inequality

In summary, the conversation is about trying to prove the inequality \|x+y\|\leq\|x\|+\|y\| using Cauchy Schwartz inequality and the concept of Minkowski inequality. The person is unsure if they are on the right track and is seeking help.
Rederick
I expanded (x+y),(x+y) and got x^2+y^2 > 2xy then replaced 2xy with 2|x,y| but now I'm stuck.

I need to get it to ||x+y|| <= ||x|| + ||y||. Am I close?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's what I did so far...

Let x=(x1,x2..xn) and y=(y1,y2..yn) in R. Assume x,y not = 0. Then (x+y)dot(x+y) = sum(x^2+2xy+y^2) >= 0. Then I rewrote it as sum(x^2 +y^2) >= sum(2xy). Using Cauchy Schwartz Inequality, sum(2xy) = 2|x dot y| <=2( ||x|| ||y||). So now I have this:

sum(x^2) +sum(y^2) <= 2( ||x|| ||y||).

I'm not even sure I'm doing the right thing. Can anyone help?

Start with [itex]\|x+y\|^2[/itex]. This is less than what?

I'm assuming that what you're trying to prove is that

[tex]|\langle x,y\rangle|\leq \|x\|\|y\|\Rightarrow \|x+y\|\leq\|x\|+\|y\|[/tex]

I'm not familiar with the term "Minkowski inequality". I would call the inequality on the right the "triangle inequality". (Edit: Aha, it's the triangle inequality for a specific Hilbert space).

By the way, if you click the quote button next to this post, you can see how I did the LaTeX. Keep in mind that there's a bug that causes the wrong images to appear in previews most of the time, so you will need to refresh and resend after each preview.

Last edited:
Thank you Fredrik. I got it.

Yes, you are on the right track. To prove the Minkowski inequality using the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality, we first expand (x+y)^2 as (x+y)(x+y)=x^2+2xy+y^2. Then, using the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality, we can rewrite 2xy as 2|x||y|. Substituting this into the expanded expression, we get (x+y)^2 = x^2 + 2|x||y| + y^2. Now, we can take the square root of both sides to get ||x+y|| = √(x^2 + 2|x||y| + y^2).

Next, we can use the triangle inequality, which states that for any two vectors x and y, ||x+y|| ≤ ||x|| + ||y||. Applying this to our expression, we get √(x^2 + 2|x||y| + y^2) ≤ √(x^2) + √(2|x||y|) + √(y^2). Since √(x^2) = ||x|| and √(y^2) = ||y||, we can rewrite this as ||x+y|| ≤ ||x|| + √(2|x||y|) + ||y||.

Now, we can use the fact that √(2|x||y|) ≤ √(2||x||^2 + 2||y||^2) = √(2(||x||^2 + ||y||^2)). This is a direct result of the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality. Substituting this into our previous expression, we get ||x+y|| ≤ ||x|| + √(2(||x||^2 + ||y||^2)) + ||y||. Finally, we can use the fact that √(a+b) ≤ √a + √b for any positive real numbers a and b to simplify this expression further. This gives us ||x+y|| ≤ ||x|| + ||y|| + √(2(||x||^2 + ||y||^2)).

Therefore, we have shown that ||x+y|| ≤ ||x|| + ||y|| + √(2(||x||^2 + ||y||^2)), which is

1. What is the Minkowski Inequality?

The Minkowski Inequality is a mathematical inequality that states that for any two sequences of real numbers, the sum of their absolute values raised to a power p will be less than or equal to the sum of the absolute values of the products of the two sequences raised to the same power.

2. What is the Cauchy-Schwartz Inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwartz Inequality is a mathematical inequality that states that for any two vectors in an inner product space, the absolute value of their inner product is less than or equal to the product of their norms.

3. How can Cauchy-Schwartz Inequality be used to prove Minkowski Inequality?

Cauchy-Schwartz Inequality can be used to prove Minkowski Inequality by recognizing that the inner product of two sequences in an inner product space is equivalent to the product of their norms. This allows us to apply Cauchy-Schwartz Inequality to the inner product, which then leads to the proof of Minkowski Inequality.

4. What are the steps to prove Minkowski Inequality using Cauchy-Schwartz Inequality?

The steps to prove Minkowski Inequality using Cauchy-Schwartz Inequality are as follows:

1. Recognize that the inner product of two sequences is equivalent to the product of their norms.
  2. Apply Cauchy-Schwartz Inequality to the inner product.
  3. Rearrange the terms to get the desired result.

5. What are some real-life applications of Minkowski Inequality?

Minkowski Inequality has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. Some examples include its use in proving the triangle inequality in metric spaces, its application in the study of Fourier series, and its use in analyzing the stability of numerical methods in computational mathematics.