Variant of Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff Formula

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter thatboi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Commutation Matrices
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 2K views
thatboi
Messages
130
Reaction score
20
TL;DR
I want to evaluate ##e^{X+Y}Ze^{-(X+Y)} - e^{Y}e^{X}Ze^{-X}e^{-Y}##
Hi all,
I was wondering if there was a clean/closed form version of the following expression: $$e^{X+Y}Ze^{-(X+Y)} - e^{Y}e^{X}Ze^{-X}e^{-Y}$$
where ##X,Y,Z## are matrices that don't commute with each other. I know of the BCH identity ##e^{X}Ye^{-X} = Y + [X,Y] + \frac{1}{2!}[X,[X,Y]] + \frac{1}{3!}[X,[X,[X,Y]]] + ...##
and I have used the identity to expand each term in my expression, but I cannot see a good way of cleaning up the result, I'm just left with a bunch of nested operators.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
thatboi said:
TL;DR Summary: I want to evaluate ##e^{X+Y}Ze^{-(X+Y)} - e^{Y}e^{X}Ze^{-X}e^{-Y}##

Hi all,
I was wondering if there was a clean/closed form version of the following expression: $$e^{X+Y}Ze^{-(X+Y)} - e^{Y}e^{X}Ze^{-X}e^{-Y}$$
where ##X,Y,Z## are matrices that don't commute with each other. I know of the BCH identity ##e^{X}Ye^{-X} = Y + [X,Y] + \frac{1}{2!}[X,[X,Y]] + \frac{1}{3!}[X,[X,[X,Y]]] + ...##
and I have used the identity to expand each term in my expression, but I cannot see a good way of cleaning up the result, I'm just left with a bunch of nested operators.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
No way. What you are basically asking for is how to move the garbage on the left through ##Z## in order to annihilate the garbage on the right. Since you allow anything to happen by changing the sides of ##Z##, there is no way to make predictions.
 
fresh_42 said:
No way. What you are basically asking for is how to move the garbage on the left through ##Z## in order to annihilate the garbage on the right. Since you allow anything to happen by changing the sides of ##Z##, there is no way to make predictions.
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "Since you allow anything to happen by changing the sides of ##Z## "?
 
thatboi said:
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "Since you allow anything to happen by changing the sides of ##Z## "?
You have certain combined expressions in ##X## and ##Y## on the left and no control over how they commutate with ##Z##. ##e^X## and ##Z## aren't even in the same space.

I would approach this problem with nilpotent matrices of low degree, say the three-dimensional Heisenberg algebra for instance. Then with matrices of a bit increased degree of nilpotency. Maybe you can find a pattern. I will see if I can find something in the books.