Prove that a subfamily of pairwise disjoint sets is pairwise disjoint

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Willy_Will
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof Set
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 10K views
Willy_Will
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
hello,

I really don't know how to proceed here, since I don't know very much about sets/family.

I want to prove that if Ð is a family of pairwise disjoint sets, and Ŧ is a subset of Ð, prove that Ŧ is also a family of pairwise disjoint sets.

Thanks in advance math gurus

William
 
Physics news on Phys.org
if x and y are elements of T, then they are elements of D. So what is xny? (n means intersection)
 
if x and y are elements of T, then they are elements of D. because T is a subset of D.

However, xny will be empty set, because they are also elements of D, and D is pairwise disjoint.

T is also pairwise disjoint.

Like that?