Prove that if T is injective, T*T is invertible

• I
  • Thread starter JJ__
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Injective
In summary, if T is injective, then T* is surjective. To show that T*T is invertible, we need to show that it is both surjective and injective. To prove injectivity, we can show that if T*Tu=0, then u=0. And to prove surjectivity, we can use the fact that T*T is linear and injective, and since it goes from V to V, the range of T*T must have the same dimension as V, making it surjective. However, this only applies if V is finite dimensional.
JJ__
TL;DR Summary
Suppose V, W are inner product spaces, and V is finite dimensional. I need to prove that if T: V-->W is an injective linear map, then T*T is invertible.
I'm using the notation T* to indicate the adjoint of T.

I got as far as to say that if T is injective, then T* is surjective. But I don't know how to show that T*T is invertible. Showing that T*T is surjective or injective would imply invertibility, but I'm not sure how to do that either. I was hoping to find a way to show that T* is injective (which would then imply that T*T is injective) but I wasn't able to.

Physics news on Phys.org
im pretty rusty on this so double check for mistakes... to show T*T is injective u just need to show if T*Tu=0, then u=0.

0=<T*Tu,u>=<Tu,Tu>, so Tu=0. since T is injective, u=0

T*T is linear and injective and goes from V->V, so range of T*T must have same dimension as V, i.e. range of T*T is V itself, i.e. its surjective. looks like its important for V to be finite dimensional since this wouldn't apply if its infinite...

Last edited:

What does it mean for T to be injective?

When a linear transformation T maps distinct elements of a vector space to distinct elements of another vector space, it is said to be injective. This means that there are no two distinct elements in the domain that are mapped to the same element in the range.

What is the significance of T*T in this statement?

T*T represents the composition of two linear transformations, where T is applied to the output of T. This is also known as the square of T.

Why is it important for T to be injective in this statement?

If T is injective, it guarantees that the composition of T*T will also be injective. This is because the distinct elements in the domain of T will still be mapped to distinct elements in the range of T*T.

What does it mean for T*T to be invertible?

A linear transformation T is invertible if there exists another linear transformation T^-1 that undoes the effects of T. This means that T*T is a bijective mapping, where every element in the domain is mapped to a unique element in the range and vice versa.

How can we prove that if T is injective, T*T is invertible?

To prove this statement, we need to show that T*T is both injective and surjective. Since T is injective, we know that T*T will also be injective. To show that T*T is surjective, we can use the fact that T is injective to show that T*T is a bijection. This will then prove that T*T is invertible.