1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the expressions by induction method

1. Sep 12, 2006 #1
    hey guys

1st week of my university and i got the painful assignment. I've not touched math from last 4-5 months, so i'm having trouble with few questions. Please help me out, thanks in advance

1- Prove that if x not equal 0, then [tex] x + 2x^{2} + 3x^{3} + ... + nx^{n}(1+x) = [ x - (n - 1)x^{n+1} + nx^{n+2} ] / (1-x)^{2} [/tex] for every poitive integer n.
    2-Prove by induction that if [tex]x \geq 0[/tex] [tex](1+x) ^n \geq 1+nx[/tex]
    3- Using the fact that [tex]d/dx(x) = 1 [/tex] and the product rule, prove by induction that [tex]d/dx(x^{n}) = nx^{n-1}[/tex] for every poitive integer n.
    4- (a) Treating the equation 4x^2 +4xy +2y^2 − 4x − 2y +1 = 0 as a quadratic equation in x with coefficients in terms of y, solve for x.
    b) Disprove the statement “For all real numbers x and y, 4x^2 +4xy +2y^2 − 4x − 2y +1 = 0”.

1st question: i tried n = 1 & then n = k but it didn't work out
    2nd question: here's what i've

n = 0 (1 + x)^0 ≥ 1 + 0x. And that's true!
    assume the expression is true when n = k
    (1 + x)^k ≥ 1 + kx.
    Prove for n = k + 1
    (1 + x)^k + 1 ≥ 1 + (k + 1)x.
    So (1 + x)^k + 1 = (1 + x)^k (1 + x)
    From the 1st hypothesis
    Therefore, (1 + x)^k (1 + x) ≥ (1 + kx) (1 + x)
    after this i've no idea how to solve the rest of it

3rd question: no clue at all how to get started

4th question part a: since we need to put the who expression into ax^2 + bx + c so this is what i did

4x^2 + 4(y-1)x + 2y^2 - 2y + 1 = 0
    therefore a = 4, b = 4(y-1) and c = 2y^2 - 2y + 1. I tried to use the quadratic formula but it doesn't give me a real root. Maybe i did something wrong and for part b i don't know how to solve it.

Please guys help me out as soon as possible, these question are due withing few days. All the help would be really apperciated , again tons of thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't understand what
    [tex] x + 2x^{2} + 3x^{3} + ... + nx^{n}(1+x) = [ x - (n - 1)x^{n+1} + nx^{n+2} ] / (1-x)^{2} [/tex]
    is supposed to mean. In particular, what is the left side if n= 1? Do you really have that (1+x) term at the end?

What is (1+ kx)(1+ x)? Multiply it. (And be careful about parentheses. (1+ x)^k+ 1 is not the same as
    (1+ x)^(k+1)!)

It says "by induction" doesn't it? When n= 1, what is d(xn)/dx= n xn-1? If you know d(xk)/dx= k xk-1 for some k, what is d(xk+1)dx? (Hint: the problem says use the product rule: xk+1= x(xk).

4. Sep 13, 2006 #3
    nope sorry my bad, the correct statement is this:
    [tex] x + 2x^{2} + 3x^{3} + ... + nx^{n}= [ x - (n - 1)x^{n+1} + nx^{n+2} ] / (1-x)^{2} [/tex]

I did mutliply it and this is what i got: 1 + x + kx + kx^2 but then i don't know how to proof that (1+x)^k(1+x) ≥ 1 + (k + 1)x

if i continue from here, i'll get
    d(xk+1)/dx = (k + 1)(xk[/sup)

L.S. = d [(xk)(x)]/dx now if sub the d(xk)/dx value which is kxk-1 then
    L.S. = kxk-1 . d(x)/dx Is this correct?
    If the last statment is correct then could you please tell me how to solve the rest of it? Even if i use the definition of derivative i can't get the L.S. = R.S.

Any hints for question # 4?

Please someone help me with these, thanks!

5. Sep 13, 2008 #4
    for question 4 the answer isn't a real root (should be x=(1-y(1+-i))/2
    for part b you need to find a value of y such that y(1+-i) is real so y must be 0 and x is 1/2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?