Proving a graph not simple and planar after adding edges

• Thread starter cmkluza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the problem states that no more than 3 edges can be added to a connected, planar, simple graph while keeping it planar and simple. This can be expressed mathematically as E ≤ 3V - 6, where E is the number of edges and V is the number of vertices. Adding 4 or more edges would result in a graph with more than 3 edges added, which violates the inequality and would lead to a non-planar graph. Therefore, the statement is true and adding more than 3 edges to G while keeping it planar and simple is not possible.
cmkluza

Homework Statement

YWeKXRJ.png

Prove that no more than 3 edges can be added to G while keeping it planar and simple.
(The graph in the image is graph G)

Homework Equations

For a connected, planar, simple graph G, with E edges and V vertices:
E ≤ 3V - 6

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, we have 9 edges, and 6 vertices:

9 ≤ 3(6) - 6 → 9 ≤ 12

However, if I just add 4 vertices off to the side, say to the right, and draw four edges connecting them all to vertex E, we'd have 13 edges and 10 vertices.

13 ≤ 3(10) - 6 → 13 ≤ 24 which is still true.

Am I misunderstanding one of the definitions in this problem? I'm not quite getting how what I'm doing isn't keeping the graph planar and simple.

Edit: Clarified equation

Physics news on Phys.org
cmkluza said:
I'm not quite getting how what I'm doing isn't keeping the graph planar and simple.
It does not say you can add any vertices.

haruspex said:
It does not say you can add any vertices.

Ah, ok, not sure where my assumption that I could came from. So, does it suffice as mathematical proof to just show that:

9 ≤ 12
9 + 3 ≤ 12 - is true
9 + 4 ≤ 12 - is not true

Thanks!

cmkluza said:
Ah, ok, not sure where my assumption that I could came from. So, does it suffice as mathematical proof to just show that:

9 ≤ 12
9 + 3 ≤ 12 - is true
9 + 4 ≤ 12 - is not true

Thanks!
No. The inequality is necessary but not sufficient. Consider K3,3. It has 9 edges, 6 vertices, but is not planar.

So, any ideas or plan?
I think the 6 vertices are inviting you to try and show the result of adding more than 3 edges would contain K3,3 which is non-planar.

1. What does it mean for a graph to be simple?

A simple graph is one in which there are no self-loops (edges that connect a vertex to itself) and no multiple edges (more than one edge connecting the same two vertices).

2. How do you prove that a graph is not simple?

To prove that a graph is not simple, you would need to identify at least one self-loop or multiple edge in the graph. This can be done by carefully examining the graph's edges and vertices.

3. What is a planar graph?

A planar graph is one that can be drawn on a two-dimensional plane without any of its edges crossing over each other.

4. Can a graph be both simple and planar?

Yes, a graph can be both simple and planar. In fact, most commonly used graphs, such as trees and cycles, are both simple and planar.

5. How do you prove that a graph is not planar after adding edges?

To prove that a graph is not planar after adding edges, you would need to show that the added edges cause the graph's edges to cross over each other when drawn on a two-dimensional plane. This can be done by carefully analyzing the positions of the added edges in relation to the existing edges of the graph.