Proving b = a^{-1} = a^2 = a + 1 in Field F_4 with 1 + 1 = 0

  • Thread starter Thread starter JG89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Interpretation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
JG89
Messages
724
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Let F_4 = {0,1,a,b} be a field containing four elements. Assume that 1 + 1 = 0. Prove that [tex]b = a^{-1} = a^2 = a + 1[/tex].

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution




Do I assume that 0, 1, a, and b are al distinct elements? If so, then I can prove the question.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
JG89 said:

Homework Statement



Let F_4 = {0,1,a,b} be a field containing four elements. Assume that 1 + 1 = 0. Prove that [tex]b = a^{-1} = a^2 = a + 1[/tex].

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

Do I assume that 0, 1, a, and b are al distinct elements? If so, then I can prove the question.

Yes, they are all distinct elements.

Let F4 = {0,1,a,b} be a field containing four elements.

That means, the 4 elements 0, 1, a, and b of the field F4 are of course, distinct. :)