Is My Proof That ab<a Correct Given 0<a<1 and 0<b<1?

  • Thread starter Thread starter knowLittle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inequalities
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
knowLittle
Messages
307
Reaction score
3
I would like some feedback on my proof.

Can I just say that :
0< a<1 ... [1]
0<b<1 ... [2]

multiplying [2] by 'a' everywhere, then I get
0<ab<a

And, we prove that ab<a?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. But you need to note that the multiply does not reverse the inequality signs because "a" is always positive.
(and don't you want a final QED?)
 
knowLittle said:
I would like some feedback on my proof.

Can I just say that :
0< a<1 ... [1]
0<b<1 ... [2]

multiplying [2] by 'a' everywhere, then I get
0<ab<a

And, we prove that ab<a?
Actually, if 0 < a and 0 < b < 1, then ab < a. a does not have to be less than 1.

-Dan
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SammyS and FactChecker
I don't want to be overkill on this, but the proof will depend on the axioms and rules you're going by.
You may, though, move the a to the other side and factor.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: .Scott and topsquark