Proving C(S,F) is a Subspace of F(S,F)

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Riemannliness
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Subspace
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Riemannliness
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Here's one I've been stewing over:
- Let S be a nonempty set of F, and F a field.
- Let F(S,F) be the set of all functions from S to the field F.
- Let C(S,F) denote the set of all functions f [tex]\in[/tex] F(S,F), such that f(s) = 0 for all but a finite number of elements in S (s [tex]\in[/tex] S).
Prove that C(S,F) is a subspace of F(S,F).

It's simple to show that the space is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, but I'm having a hard time finding a zero. It certainly isn't the zero function because that function is not nonzero at any finite number of points in S. I've played with a few ideas, but it always comes down to the ambiguity of the definition of S and the specifics of the finite nonzero points mapped by the functions. I can find functions that work for each specific case, but not one that works in all cases. I feel like I'm missing something relatively simple, so hints (BUT NOT ANSWERS) would be appreciated :biggrin:.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Being 0 for all elements of S probably counts as being 0 for all but finitely many elements of S
 
You're probably right. But I was under the impression that it had to be nonzero at least a couple points. Would it be possible if that were the case?
 
Obviously not, since in that case you would not have a "0" vector.