Prove that ##S## is a subspace of ##V##

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
peregrintkanin
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Let ##S## be the subset of real (infinite) sequences (##a_1,a_2,\ldots##) with ##\lim a_n=0## and let ##V## be the space of all real sequences. Is ##S## a subspace of ##V##?

Hello. I want to ask for help to start solving this problem. I don't understand how I can apply the theory I've studied about vector spaces and vector subspaces.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the properties that must be fulfilled in order for ##S## to be a subspace?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
peregrintkanin said:
Let ##S## be the subset of real (infinite) sequences (##a_1,a_2,\ldots##) with ##\lim a_n=0## and let ##V## be the space of all real sequences. Is ##S## a subspace of ##V##?

Hello. I want to ask for help to start solving this problem. I don't understand how I can apply the theory I've studied about vector spaces and vector subspaces.
If ##(a_1, a_2, a_3)## represents a three-dimensional vector, then why can't an infinite sequence ##(a_1, a_2, a_3 \dots )## represent an infinite dimensional vector?