Proving monotonicity of a ratio of two sums

In summary: Hopefully I'll have a better answer soon.In summary, the ratio of the sums of these functions is increasing, but it is not necessary for the ratio to be increasing.
raphile
Hi everyone. In a proof I'm working on, I have a ratio of two sums of functions in the following form:

[itex]\frac{f_1(x)+f_2(x)+...f_n(x)}{g_1(x)+g_2(x)+...+g_n(x)}[/itex]

I want to prove this ratio is monotonically increasing in [itex]x[/itex]. All of the functions [itex]f_i(x)[/itex] and [itex]g_i(x)[/itex] are positive and also (importantly) I know that for all [itex]i=1,2,...,n[/itex], the ratio [itex]f_i(x)/g_i(x)[/itex] is monotonically increasing in [itex]x[/itex], i.e. [itex]f_1(x)/g_1(x)[/itex] is increasing in [itex]x[/itex], [itex]f_2(x)/g_2(x)[/itex] is increasing in [itex]x[/itex], etc.

Is there a simple way to prove this without requiring further information about these functions? I've been stuck on it for a while. Does it have to be true that the ratio of the sums is increasing? If anyone can suggest a straightforward approach (or tell me if it's not possible without further information) I'd be very grateful, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
raphile said:
Hi everyone. In a proof I'm working on, I have a ratio of two sums of functions in the following form:

[itex]\frac{f_1(x)+f_2(x)+...f_n(x)}{g_1(x)+g_2(x)+...+g_n(x)}[/itex]

I want to prove this ratio is monotonically increasing in [itex]x[/itex]. All of the functions [itex]f_i(x)[/itex] and [itex]g_i(x)[/itex] are positive and also (importantly) I know that for all [itex]i=1,2,...,n[/itex], the ratio [itex]f_i(x)/g_i(x)[/itex] is monotonically increasing in [itex]x[/itex], i.e. [itex]f_1(x)/g_1(x)[/itex] is increasing in [itex]x[/itex], [itex]f_2(x)/g_2(x)[/itex] is increasing in [itex]x[/itex], etc.

Is there a simple way to prove this without requiring further information about these functions? I've been stuck on it for a while. Does it have to be true that the ratio of the sums is increasing? If anyone can suggest a straightforward approach (or tell me if it's not possible without further information) I'd be very grateful, thanks!

Have you tried induction? It is usually the first thing I think of when solving problems like this.

BiP

Is it even true?
Consider f1(x) = x +x^2, g1(x) = 10x, f2(x) = 10+x^2, g2(x) = 1.
When x v small, (f1+f2)/(g1+g2) ~ 10. At x = 1, ratio is 13/11.

Many thanks for the help. Sorry for the late reply - I'm still working on the problem and trying things out.

At least now I'm convinced that the condition that [itex]f_i(x)/g_i(x)[/itex] is monotonically increasing for all [itex]i=1,2,...,n[/itex] is not sufficient for the overall ratio to be increasing, which I wasn't sure about before. I'm trying some things based on induction which rely on some other properties of these functions.

Hello,

I can suggest a straightforward approach to prove the monotonicity of the ratio of two sums in this case. Since we know that each individual ratio f_i(x)/g_i(x) is monotonically increasing in x, we can use this information to prove the monotonicity of the overall ratio of two sums.

First, let's consider the numerator of the ratio, which is the sum of the functions f_i(x). Since each individual function is positive and monotonically increasing in x, it follows that the sum of these functions is also positive and monotonically increasing in x. This means that as x increases, the numerator of the ratio will also increase.

Next, let's consider the denominator of the ratio, which is the sum of the functions g_i(x). Similar to the numerator, since each individual function is positive and monotonically increasing in x, the sum of these functions will also be positive and monotonically increasing in x. This means that as x increases, the denominator of the ratio will also increase.

Therefore, as both the numerator and denominator of the ratio are monotonically increasing in x, the overall ratio will also be monotonically increasing in x. This proves that the ratio of the two sums is monotonically increasing in x.

In conclusion, we can prove the monotonicity of the ratio of two sums without requiring further information about the individual functions. However, this proof relies on the assumption that each individual ratio f_i(x)/g_i(x) is monotonically increasing in x. If this assumption is not true, then it is not possible to prove the monotonicity of the overall ratio without further information about the functions. I hope this helps.

1. What does it mean to prove monotonicity of a ratio of two sums?

Proving monotonicity of a ratio of two sums means to show that the ratio of two sums is always increasing or decreasing in a given range of values. This is typically done by comparing the values of the numerator and denominator and showing that they follow a pattern of either always increasing or always decreasing.

2. Why is proving monotonicity of a ratio of two sums important?

Proving monotonicity of a ratio of two sums is important because it allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of a function or expression. It can help us determine the direction in which the ratio is changing and make predictions about its future values.

3. What are some common techniques used to prove monotonicity of a ratio of two sums?

Some common techniques used to prove monotonicity of a ratio of two sums include using the definition of monotonicity, using algebraic manipulations to simplify the expression, and using derivatives to show the slope of the function is always positive or negative.

4. Can monotonicity of a ratio of two sums be proved for all values?

No, monotonicity of a ratio of two sums cannot be proved for all values. It can only be proved within a specific range of values or under certain conditions. In some cases, the ratio may exhibit non-monotonic behavior, meaning it does not always increase or decrease.

5. How can proving monotonicity of a ratio of two sums be applied in real-life situations?

Proving monotonicity of a ratio of two sums can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in financial analysis, engineering, and scientific research. It can help in making decisions based on the behavior of a function or expression, and in predicting future values. For example, in finance, it can be used to analyze the trend of stock prices and make investment decisions.