Proving Perpendicular Lines in a Quadrilateral

In summary, the problem is trying to figure out if a given triangle is isosceles. One way to figure this out is to see if the triangle has similar triangles. If the triangle does have similar triangles, then you can use the Pythagorean Theorem to figure out the length of one of the sides of the similar triangle. Then, using that information and the angle between the two sides of the similar triangle, you can figure out the angle between the other two sides of the triangle. If the angle between the two sides of the triangle is smaller than 180 degrees, then the triangle is isosceles.
horsecandy911

Homework Statement

ABCD is a quadrilateral with AB=CD
P,Q,R,S are the midpoints of AD,AC,BD,BC respectively
Prove that PS is perpendicular to QR

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a bunch of different avenues, but I think that the most promising one is to somehow show that triangle PQR or SQR is isosceles; then, if we can also prove that PS is the angle bisector or the median of PQR, we will also know its an altitude, so it must make a right angle with QR. But I don't know how to show that PQR or SQR is isosceles!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not extremely obvious - the figure is quite cluttered so hard to see. I couldn't see it through to the answer yesterday but this morning was clearer. Yesterday I thought similar triangles would be useful and they are. Your problem needs you to call on one of the handful of Polya 'How to solve it' principles I have mentioned in other threads, this one is: 'Are you using all the information you are given?'.

You can say something about those lengths you mention and you are along exactly the right lines. :smile:

Aha! Thank you epenguin, you nudged it over the edge for me. For anyone who's been trying the problem and wondering, here is the solution:

AQ is 1/2 AC because Q is the midpoint of AC
AP is 1/2 AD because P is the midpoint of AD
and triangles APQ and ACD share angle PAQ
So triangles APQ and ACD are similar
Therefore PQ = 1/2 CD
You can make an exactly analogous argument for the other side to show that
PR =1/2 AB
And since AB = DC
PR = PQ
Make the same argument for the opposite side to obtain that SR and SQ = 1/2 CD and AB respectively
So because AB = DC again, SR = SQ = PR = PQ
So PQRS is a parallelogram and its diagonals bisect each other,
So PS crosses QR at the midpoint of QR,
Making it the median of triangle PQR;
And the median of an isosceles angle from its vertex is the same as its altitude, so PS is an altitude of triangle PQR, which meets QR at 90 degrees,
Therefore PS and QR are perpendicular

Whew... that seemed rather long and complicated... anyone know if I'm missing some more elegant solution?

Not much but once you are past the similar triangles I found it necessary to talk only of lengths, not angles. You might now look up or re-read 'rhombus' in your textbook and you may get some reinforcement or even now feel you are coming to it from on top whereas previously you came from underneath. :approve:

1. How do you prove that lines are perpendicular in a quadrilateral?

To prove that lines are perpendicular in a quadrilateral, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, the definition of perpendicular lines, or the slope-intercept form of a line.

2. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how does it relate to proving perpendicular lines?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This can be used to prove that lines are perpendicular by showing that the lengths of the sides of the right triangle formed by the two lines are in the ratio of 3:4:5.

3. Can you prove that lines are perpendicular without using the Pythagorean theorem?

Yes, you can also prove that lines are perpendicular by showing that the slopes of the two lines are negative reciprocals of each other. This is based on the definition of perpendicular lines, which states that two lines are perpendicular if they intersect at a right angle.

4. What is the slope-intercept form of a line and how does it help prove perpendicular lines?

The slope-intercept form of a line is y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. This form can be used to determine if two lines are perpendicular by comparing their slopes. If the product of the slopes is -1, then the lines are perpendicular.

5. Are there any other methods for proving perpendicular lines in a quadrilateral?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the angle properties of a quadrilateral, such as the sum of interior angles adding up to 360 degrees. You can also use the properties of parallel lines, such as alternate interior angles being congruent, to prove that lines are perpendicular in a quadrilateral.