Proving Roots: Formula for Solving Quadratic Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the correct formula to prove the answer to a quadratic equation. The moderator provides a method to get the roots and explains how to use it to solve the problem. The moderator also mentions a typo in the problem and clarifies their statement.
lilyhachi
Summary:: Hi guys, i can't seem to get the correct answer. I'm wondering where did I do wrong. Can someone help me to solve this? I think I need the correct formula to prove the answer :(

Given a root to 𝑥² + 𝑝𝑥 + 𝑞 = 0 is twice the multiple of another. Show that 2𝑝² = 9𝑞. The roots for 𝑥² + 4𝑥 + 𝑘² = −2 − 2𝑘𝑥 − 3𝑘 are not zero and one root is twice the multiple of the other.
Calculate 𝑘.
Ans: 𝑘 = 7

[Moderator's note: moved from a technical forum. Member has been warned to show his efforts next time.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the formula that gives the two roots? You will need it for part a). If you do not know it, then there is a method to get them, namely writing ##0=(x^2+px+q)=\left(x+\dfrac{p}{2}\right)^2 + \ldots##

Likes Delta2
If ##r## and ##s## are the roots, then ##rs=q## and ##r+s=-p##. In your case ##r=2s## (without loss of generality). Can you see how to get ##2p^2=9q## from here?

Do you see how this applies to your second problem?

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
lilyhachi said:
Summary:: Hi guys, i can't seem to get the correct answer. I'm wondering where did I do wrong.
We can't tell where you went wrong unless you show us what you tried.

Likes Delta2
Infrared said:
If ##r## and ##s## are the roots, then ##rs=q## and ##r+s=-q##. In your case ##r=2s## (without loss of generality). Can you see how to get ##2p^2=9q## from here?

Do you see how this applies to your second problem?
I believe you have a typo, it should be ##r+s=-p##.

Likes Infrared
Delta2 said:
I believe you have a typo, it should be ##r+s=-p##.

Yes, of course. Fixed!

Likes Delta2

What is the formula for solving quadratic equations?

The formula for solving quadratic equations is known as the quadratic formula, which is:
x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a
where a, b, and c are coefficients in the standard form of a quadratic equation (ax^2 + bx + c = 0).

How does the quadratic formula work?

The quadratic formula works by finding the values of x that make the quadratic equation equal to 0. It uses the coefficients of the equation to determine these values by taking the square root of the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) and plugging it into the formula.

Why is the quadratic formula important?

The quadratic formula is important because it provides a universal method for solving any quadratic equation, regardless of the coefficients. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering.

Can the quadratic formula be used for all types of quadratic equations?

Yes, the quadratic formula can be used for all types of quadratic equations, including those with real or complex solutions. However, it is important to note that if the discriminant is negative, the solutions will be complex and require the use of imaginary numbers.

What are the common mistakes when using the quadratic formula?

Common mistakes when using the quadratic formula include forgetting to distribute the negative sign when finding the solutions, making errors when simplifying the equation, and forgetting to take the square root of the discriminant. It is important to double check your work and use a calculator if needed to avoid these mistakes.