Solving Quadratic Equation with Solutions x1 and x2: How to Calculate x1-3+x2-3?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Matejxx1
Messages
72
Reaction score
1
1.given the equation a(3x2+2x+1)=4x-6x2-4 with the solutions x1 and x2
a) let a=0 without solving the equation calculate x1-3+x2-3

the correct answer is supposed to be -7/2


Homework Equations


x1+x2=-b/a
x1*x2=c/a




The Attempt at a Solution


The first thing I was that I put in "a" so,
0*(3x2+2x+1)=4x-6x2-4
0=4x-6x2-4...... here I multiplied the whole equation by -1
0=6x2-4x+4......here i divided the equation by 6
0=x2-4/6x+46
then I used the equation
1/x13+1/x23=(1/x1+1/x2)3 -3/x12x2 -3/x22x1
This is where I have no idea how to continue.I'm not even sure that what I have written is correct .If someone could help me solve this,I would really appreciate it. Thanks for reading .
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Matejxx1 said:
1.given the equation a(3x2+2x+1)=4x-6x2-4 with the solutions x1 and x2
a) let a=0 without solving the equation calculate x1-3+x2-3

the correct answer is supposed to be -7/2


Homework Equations


x1+x2=-b/a
x1*x2=c/a




The Attempt at a Solution


The first thing I was that I put in "a" so,
0*(3x2+2x+1)=4x-6x2-4
0=4x-6x2-4...... here I multiplied the whole equation by -1
0=6x2-4x+4......here i divided the equation by 6
0=x2-4/6x+4/6
then I used the equation
1/x13+1/x23=(1/x1+1/x2)3 -3/x12x2 -3/x22x1
This is where I have no idea how to continue.I'm not even sure that what I have written is correct .If someone could help me solve this,I would really appreciate it. Thanks for reading .

Try to bring in x1+x2 and x1x2.
For example, [tex]1/x_1+1/x_2=\frac{x_1+x_2}{x_1 x_2}[/tex]

ehild
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
thank you for your reply. I did as you said and I got:
((x1+x2)/x1x2)3-3x1/x12x22 -3x2/x22x12. then I added the minuses together:
((x1+x2)/x1x2)3-3x1+3x2/(x1x2)2
Did I do this part correct?
May I also ask, what command did you use to write (x1+x2)/x1x2 because your way looks much easier to understand
 
Last edited:
Matejxx1 said:
thank you for your reply. I did as you said and I got:
(x1+x2/x1x2)3-3x1/x12x22 -3x2/x22x12. then I added the minuses together:
(x1+x2/x1x2)3-3x1+3x2/(x1x2)2
Did I do this part correct?
May I also ask, what command did you use to write x1+x2/x1x2 because your way looks much easier to understand

He did not write ##x_1+x_2/x_1x_2##; you did that. In fact, you wrote
[tex]x_1 + \frac{x_2}{x_1 x_2}[/tex]
If you mean
[tex]\frac{x_1 + x_2}{x_1 x_2}[/tex]
then either use LaTeX or else use parentheses, like this: (x1+x2)/x1x2.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
He did not write ##x_1+x_2/x_1x_2##; you did that. In fact, you wrote
[tex]x_1 + \frac{x_2}{x_1 x_2}[/tex]
If you mean
[tex]\frac{x_1 + x_2}{x_1 x_2}[/tex]
then either use LaTeX or else use parentheses, like this: (x1+x2)/x1x2.
Thank you I didn't notice that and I fixed it right away
 
Now I added in the numbers
x1+x2=4/6
x1*x2=4/6
(((4/6)/4/6))-((3*4/6)/(4/6)2 =
1-(2)/0,444=
1-4,5=-3,5=-7/2
Thank you very much for your help I got the right answer