Proving sqrt(3), sqrt(5), sqrt(7), sqrt(24), and sqrt(31) are irrational

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Math100
Messages
823
Reaction score
234
Homework Statement
None.
Relevant Equations
None.
Show sqrt(3), sqrt(5), sqrt(7), sqrt(24), and sqrt(31) are not rational numbers.
 
Attachments
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: THAUROS
Physics news on Phys.org
These can all be done in one fell swoop if you think about it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Math100
PeroK said:
These can all be done in one fell swoop if you think about it.
Can you please tell me what's that one fell swoop?
 
Math100 said:
Can you please tell me what's that one fell swoop?
It means one proof to cover all those cases.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Math100
THAUROS said:
Hi, I wanted to share a link that I thought could help but I can't. Sorry!
 
PeroK said:
It means one proof to cover all those cases.
What proof should/do I need to apply for this problem?
 
Math100 said:
What proof should/do I need to apply for this problem?
What's your proof for ##\sqrt 3##? Can you generalise that?