Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that the product of two full-rank matrices is full-rank

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1
    Say I have a mxn matrix A and a nxk matrix B. How do you prove that the matrix C = AB is full-rank, as well?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey leden and welcome to the forums.

For this problem, I'm wondering if you can show that the null-space for the final space is directly related to the null-spaces of the original two systems (like for example if they are additive or have some other relation).

If this is possible, then if you can show that the nullity is zero then you have shown it has full rank.

4. Sep 19, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What do you mean with "full rank" in the first place?

5. Sep 19, 2012 #4
    By full-rank, I mean rank(M) = min{num_cols(M), num_rows(M)}.

6. Sep 19, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In that case, the statement in the OP is false. Try to find a counterexample.

7. Sep 22, 2012 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

just off the top of my head, it seems to follow from the multiplicative property of determinants. (assuming you state it correctly.)

8. Sep 22, 2012 #7

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's true for square matrices, but the OP's matrices are not necessariily square (again, assuming it was stated correctly).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook