Proving that W1 \cap W2 is a Subspace of V

  • Thread starter Thread starter mandygirl22
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Subspace
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
mandygirl22
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Prove that if W1 and W2 are subspaces of the vector space V, then W1 [tex]\cap[/tex] W2 is also a subspace of V.

Attempt at solution:
I really don't even know where to start on this because I am confused about how to prove in general that something is a subspace. Also, I don't know how to find what W1 [tex]\cap[/tex] W2 is. Please help!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mandygirl22 said:
Prove that if W1 and W2 are subspaces of the vector space V, then W1 [tex]\cap[/tex] W2 is also a subspace of V.

Attempt at solution:
I really don't even know where to start on this because I am confused about how to prove in general that something is a subspace. Also, I don't know how to find what W1 [tex]\cap[/tex] W2 is. Please help!

W1 [itex]\cap[/itex] W2 consists of all the vectors that are in W1 and in W2.

To make it simpler to write, let's W = W1 [itex]\cap[/itex] W2.

What are the things you need to check to verify that a set is a subspace of a given vector space?