Unique Subspaces for Vector Space V in R3

In summary, to find unique subspaces W1 and W2 such that R3 = V ⨁ W1 = V ⨁ W2, you can choose W1 to be a plane in R^3 not containing (1,1,0) and W2 to be another plane in R^3. To define these planes, you can use the equation of a plane in R^3, which is of the form ax + by + cz + d = 0, where (a,b,c,d) are constants. By choosing two free parameters, you can write the other variables in terms of those parameters and define the basis vectors for W1 and W2.
muzihc

Homework Statement

If R3 is a vector space and V = (x,x,0) is a subspace, find unique subspaces W1 and W2 such that R3 = V ⨁ W1 = V ⨁ W2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming R3 = (x,y,z) - please correct me if I'm wrong somehow - then I could pick a W1 like (0,-x+y,z), but then that seems to leave me no room to pick a distinct W2.

I might be missing something very basic, I'm not sure. I've spent plenty of time thinking about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
W1 could be a plane in R^3 not containing (1,1,0). W2 could be another plane.

Thanks.

In general, how would I define a plane in R^3?

muzihc said:
Thanks.

In general, how would I define a plane in R^3?

A line in some space has one independent dimension. A plane has two.

The equation of a plane in R3 is of the form:

ax + by + cz + d = 0, where (a,b,c,d) are constants.

So by having two free parameters (say u and v) you can write the other in terms of those two.

Say let's say your plane equation is z = u and y = v for (a,b,c,d) = (1,1,1,-1) you

have

x + y + z - 1 = 0

So z = u, using standard basis [0,0,1] for z vector and y = v for y vector [0,1,0] you get

x = 1 - y - z = 1 - u - v

So you would have the system:

(1 - u - v)*[1 0 0]^T + u * [0 1 0]^T + v*[0 0 1]^T

= [1 0 0]^T + u*[-1 1 0]^T + v*[-1 0 1]^T

You don't want to define a plane, but the bases vectors of W1 and W2. Think of a couple planes that include the z component. Remember the basis vector (1,1,0) doesn't have a z component, so to cover all of R^3, W1 and W2 have to include it.

Last edited:

1. What is a subspace of a vector space?

A subspace of a vector space is a subset of the vector space that also satisfies the properties of a vector space. This means that it must contain the zero vector, be closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, and must be non-empty.

2. How do you determine if a subset is a subspace of a vector space?

To determine if a subset is a subspace of a vector space, you must check if it satisfies the properties of a vector space. This includes checking if it contains the zero vector, if it is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, and if it is non-empty.

3. Can a subspace have different dimensions than the vector space it is a subset of?

Yes, a subspace can have a different dimension than the vector space it is a subset of. This is because the dimension of a subspace is determined by the number of linearly independent vectors in the subspace, which may be less than the dimension of the vector space.

4. What is the difference between a proper subspace and an improper subspace?

A proper subspace is a subset of a vector space that is not equal to the entire vector space. An improper subspace, on the other hand, is a subspace that is equal to the entire vector space. In other words, a proper subspace is a subset that is strictly smaller than the vector space, while an improper subspace is a subset that is equal to the vector space.

5. How are subspaces used in linear algebra?

Subspaces are an important concept in linear algebra as they allow us to study smaller, more manageable sets within a larger vector space. They also help us to understand the properties and structure of vector spaces, and are used in many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering.