Proving the order-isomorphism lemma for ordinals with transfinite induction

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jgens
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Isomorphism
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jgens
Gold Member
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
50
I am trying to prove the following results: If α and β are ordinals, then the orderings (α,∈) and (β,∈) are isomorphic if and only if α = β.

So far, I have only proved that the class Ord is transitive and well-ordered by ∈. I can prove this result with the following lemma: If f:α→β is an order-preserving map, then z ≤ f(z). However, I am having difficulty proving this lemma without something like transfinite induction. Any help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume that [itex]z\leq f(z)[/itex] does NOT hold. Then there is a least a such that [itex]f(a)<a[/itex]. Take f of both sides.
 
That works perfectly! I am silly for not thinking of something like that. Thanks!