1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group of p-power order isomorphism

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G be a group of order p2, where p is a positive prime.

Show that G is isomorphic to either Z/p2 or Z/p × Z/p.

3. The attempt at a solution

Am I completely wrong here or is this just the definition of a p-Sylow subgroup? what I mean is that if g is of order p2 then there is a subgroup of order p and of order p2, which are isomorphic to Zp and Zp2 (respectively).
    Also, if the Sylow group is isomorphic to Zp, it is abelian, would that consequently make G abelian? Not too sure how to put all this into mathematical form...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2
    Well, by definition G is a p-group and the only non-trivial Sylow p-subgroup of a p-group is the whole group itself.

There is clearly a subgroup of order [itex] p^2 [/itex] (G itself), but a priori there is no reason to assume it's cyclic. I assume you're using Cauchy's theorem to say there is a subgroup of order p, and certainly it must be cyclic. You could use this to argue that the group is isomorphic to [itex] \mathbb Z/p \times \mathbb Z/p [/itex] but there is an easier way.

Do you know about the class equation? Can you show that the center of a p-group is always non-trivial?

4. Oct 28, 2011 #3

Deveno

Science Advisor

since G is a p-group, it IS it's own p-Sylow subgroup. so the sylow theorems won't help you here.

try this: either G has an element of order p2, or it doesn't, so...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook