Proving the Validity of 5y^2 + 5y + 1 in Prime Numbers

  • Thread starter Thread starter zoxee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Prime Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
zoxee
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
prove if the statement is true, else form it's negation and prove that is true:

## \forall y \in (x | x \in \mathbb Z , x \geq 1), 5y^2 + 5y + 1 ##

I think it's true, but I can't really even get started to prove it

I really suck at these and need help please, thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no statement that could be evaluated as true or false.
It is like "prove that this is true or false: 5".

I guess there is "is prime" missing. Did you test some numbers to check it? Don't just check small numbers, consider larger numbers as well.


Big hint:
There is no known useful formula to generate an arbitrary number of primes without excessive calculations.
 
Put this text into an *.vbs file and run it:

For y = 1 To 100
z = 5*y*y + 5*y + 1
if (z mod 11)=0 then MsgBox("f(" & y & ") is divisible by 11.")
if (z mod 19)=0 then MsgBox("f(" & y & ") is divisible by 19.")
Next