1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really a Question about Notation

1. Apr 7, 2014 #1

Atomised

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Form negation and then either prove statement or negation:

[itex]\forall[/itex]y [itex]\in[/itex] {[itex] x | x \in Z, x>=1[/itex]}, [itex]5y^2+5y+1[/itex] is a prime number.

3. The attempt at a solution

Answer given:

[itex]\exists[/itex]y [itex]\in[/itex] {[itex] x | x \in Z, x>=1[/itex]} such that [itex]5y^2+5y+1[/itex] is not prime.

The negation is true, counterexample follows.

My question is why are [itex]x,y[/itex] mixed up?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2014 #2
    What do you mean why are [itex]x, y[/itex] mixed up?

4. Apr 7, 2014 #3

Atomised

Gold Member

Well, there exists y belonging to a set where the elements are defined by x...

Would it be valid to express it as there exists x belonging to a set where the elements are defined by x... or the above the preferred way of doing it?

5. Apr 7, 2014 #4
    The way I interpret it is like this:

Let [itex]X[/itex] be defined as the set of numbers [itex]\{x|x\in\mathbb{Z}, x\geq1\}[/itex].

Then:

[itex]\exists y \in X \text{ such that } 5y^2+5y+1 \text{ is not prime}[/itex]

This might make it clearer that the set is being defined by the dummy variable [itex]x[/itex]. It has no real purpose besides just being a dummy variable from what I can see.

6. Apr 7, 2014 #5

Atomised

Gold Member

Very helpful thank you.

7. Apr 7, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In plain English, the statement is: ##5 y^2 + 5y+1## is prime for any positive integer ##y##. Of course, as you have shown, the statement is false.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted