1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving the Work-Energy Theorem A lot of calculus, anyone?

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle moves on a curved path from (x1, y1,z1) to (x2, y2,z2). At the start, the particle has a velocity of v = v1xi+v1yj+v1zk. This curved path can be divided into segments infinitesimally, which are, dl = dxi +dyj +dzk. It is acted on by a net force F = Fxj + Fyi + Fzk. The force components Fx, Fy, and Fz, are in general functions of position. Prove the work energy theorem for this general case. That is prove that

Wtot=K2-K1

where

Wtot=[itex]\int[/itex]F dl = [itex]\int[/itex] Fxdx + Fydy + Fzdz

where the limits of integration are from (x1, y1,z1) to (x2, y2,z2) for each.

2. Relevant equations

W = Fd
    ∫F=W

ax= [itex]\stackrel{dvx}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\stackrel{dvx}{dx}[/itex] *[itex]\stackrel{dx}{dt}[/itex] = vx[itex]\stackrel{dvx}{dx}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really have any idea where to start but what I did was I took the velocities and made them into accelerations then changed the Fx, Fy, and Fz, into max, may, and maz values, then I'm confused now because I have an integral which looks like this..

[itex]\int[/itex] m*vx*dvx + m*vy*dvy/dx dy + m*vz*dvz/dx dz

which makes no sense because the dx only cancelled out for the X direction, and I need to prove that Wtot = 1/2 mvf^2 - 1/2mvi^2

If anyone could help it'd be appreciated because i've got really no idea what im doing

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2
    Bolded means vectors. Note that x = (x1,x2,...xn). The period denotes dot product.

Let W = ∫F.dx
    F = m(d2x/dt2)

W = m∫(d2x/dt2).dx
    W = m∫(dv/dt).dx

Note that this step is somewhat hand-wavy but it's true. I think it would be a good exercise for you to prove this. To do that, you first need to learn about how line integrals work, and the process of parametrization. Hint: dx=(dx/dt)dt

W = m∫dv.(dx/dt)
    W = m∫(dx/dt).dv
    W = m∫v.dv
    W = m(1/2 v.v) = 1/2 m|v|2

Is your name Ping?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook