Proving |x + y| ≥ |x| - |y| using Theorem 3 and the fact that |-y| = |y|

• Thread starter jimmyly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
Is this what you mean?@jimmyly no you got the last step wrong. I will show you in a secondi see i see. I missed a step.|x + y| >= |x| - |y||x + y| >= |x| + |-y||x + y| >= |x| + |y|This is what you mean
jimmyly

Homework Statement

|x + y| ≥ |x| - |y| [Hint: write out x = x + y - y, and apply Theorem 3, together with the fact that |-y| = |y|]

Homework Equations

Theorem 3: |a + b| ≤ |a| + |b|

x = x + y - y

|-y| = |y|

The Attempt at a Solution

|x + y| ≥ |x| - |y|

x = x + y - y (don't know where to use it)

xy ≤ |xy| = |x| |y| ( I really don't know why I am taking these steps, I am pretty much following the proof of theorem 3 in this book)

2xy ≤ 2|x||y| ( does the |-y| = |y| come into play here to flip the inequality? )

(x+y)^2 = x^2 + 2xy + y^2 ≤ x^2 - 2|x||y| + y^2 = (|x| - |y|)^2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jimmyly said:

Homework Statement

|x + y| ≥ |x| - |y| [Hint: write out x = x + y - y, and apply Theorem 3, together with the fact that |-y| = |y|]

Homework Equations

Theorem 3: |a + b| ≤ |a| + |b|

x = x + y - y

|-y| = |y|

The Attempt at a Solution

|x + y| ≥ |x| - |y|

x = x + y - y (not sure why this is true, and don't know where to use it)

Is it not obvious that x + y - y = x + (y - y) = x + 0 = x?

hi jimmyly! :smile:
jimmyly said:
x = x + y - y (not sure why this is true …

add some brackets …

x = x + (y - y)

now can you see why it's true? :wink:
… and don't know where to use it)

add some brackets in a different place :wink:

jimmyly said:
… I just don't know what that has to do with proving it.

y - y = 0

x + (y - y) = x + 0

x + 0 = x ? o:)

@mark-44: How was it false? I mean if you could clarify that would be great. Wasn't trying to spread false information or anything.

Tornado Dragon said:
You have to remember that |x|= x so for |-x| it becomes -(-x)= + x.

So When you change || to how you normally write it out you get: x + y>= x + y Which can then be written as:

I don't understand why I would write x + y ≥ x + y
how does the subtraction turn into addition? does this mean that x + y = |x| - |y|? I see that -(-x) = + x
but its |x| - |y| not |x| + |-y|
or is my thinking wrong?

tiny-tim said:

y - y = 0

x + (y - y) = x + 0

x + 0 = x ? o:)

Thank you, I understand why x = x + y - y it is very obvious! I am confused because I have no idea what it has to do with the proof and where to apply it when proving that |x+y| >= |x| - |y|

Tornado Dragon said:
You have to remember that |x|= x so for |-x| it becomes -(-x)= + x.

So When you change || to how you normally write it out you get: x + y>= x + y

Tornado Dragon's post was full of errors, so I deleted it. Right at the start he tells you to remember that |x|= x. This is not true in general, particularly if x happens to be negative.

jimmyly said:
I don't understand why I would write x + y ≥ x + y
how does the subtraction turn into addition? does this mean that x + y = |x| - |y|? I see that -(-x) = + x
but its |x| - |y| not |x| + |-y|
or is my thinking wrong?
No, it's not. You can't just ignore the absolute value signs, which Tornado Dragon seems to have done.

jimmyly said:
Thank you, I understand why x = x + y - y it is very obvious! I am confused because I have no idea what it has to do with the proof and where to apply it when proving that |x+y| >= |x| - |y|

apply Theorem 3 to x = x + y - y (with brackets in a suitable place) :wink:

@jimmyly ignore my post I have made a few mistakes in it. I will get back to you on it once I have gone it over it again.

edit: @mark44&jimmlyl: I did make en eroneous error but I did not ignore the absolute signs like that I will redo it and post it at a later tim.e.

Last edited:
okay so here is what I'm doing right now

|x+y| >= |x| - |y|
with x = x + y - y
I got
|x + y| >= |x| + |y| - |y| - |y|
cancelling the |y|
|x + y| >= |x| + |y|
am I on the right track? :)

Mark44 said:
Tornado Dragon's post was full of errors, so I deleted it. Right at the start he tells you to remember that |x|= x. This is not true in general, particularly if x happens to be negative.

No, it's not. You can't just ignore the absolute value signs, which Tornado Dragon seems to have done.

understandable

Tornado Dragon said:
@jimmyly ignore my post I have made a few mistakes in it. I will get back to you on it once I have gone it over it again.

edit: @mark44&jimmlyl: I did make en eroneous error but I did not ignore the absolute signs like that I will redo it and post it at a later tim.e.

no worries we all make mistakes!

jimmyly said:

Take your theorem 3, |a+b|<=|a|+|b|. Put a=x+y and b=(-y). What happens?

jimmyly said:
|x + y| >= |x| + |y| - |y| - |y|

am I on the right track? :)

no!

Theorem 3 applies to 3 things

use brackets to reduce the number of things to 3 !

then you can apply Theorem 3 :smile:

Dick said:
Take your theorem 3, |a+b|<=|a|+|b|. Put a=x+y and b=(-y). What happens?

so from this I got

|a + b| <= |a| + |b|
|(x+y) + (-y)| <= |x+y| + |-y|
|x + y - y| <= |x+y| + |-y|
|x| - |y| <= |x + y|

oh that just did it didn't it?!

jimmyly said:
oh that just did it didn't it?!

Sure did!

Would this be classified as a direct proof? I'm trying to learn proofs on my own so this is a little bit confusing to me. Thanks everyone for helping me out!

Dick said:
Sure did!

Wow that's amazing. Thanks everyone! You are all wonderful

jimmyly said:
Would this be classified as a direct proof? I'm trying to learn proofs on my own …

jimmyly, you seem to be worrying that there's something special about proofs

there isn't

if it starts with the question and finishes with the answer, it's a proof! :smile:

jimmyly said:
Would this be classified as a direct proof? I'm trying to learn proofs on my own so this is a little bit confusing to me. Thanks everyone for helping me out!

Yes, it's a direct proof. Indirect proofs work by assuming what you are trying to prove is false. Then you show that leads to a logical contradiction. So what you are trying to prove must be true. Also called "proof by contradiction".

tiny-tim said:
jimmyly, you seem to be worrying that there's something special about proofs

there isn't

if it starts with the question and finishes with the answer, it's a proof! :smile:

Dick said:
Yes, it's a direct proof. Indirect proofs work by assuming what you are trying to prove is false. Then you show that leads to a logical contradiction. So what you are trying to prove must be true. Also called "proof by contradiction".

Thank you! :)

1. What does "No problem, happy to help!" mean?

"No problem, happy to help!" is a common expression used to convey that the person is willing and able to assist with something without any hesitation or inconvenience. It is a polite and friendly way of acknowledging gratitude for being asked for help.

2. Is "No problem, happy to help!" a proper response to "Thank you"?

Yes, "No problem, happy to help!" is a suitable response to "Thank you." It shows that the person is happy to have helped and that it was no trouble for them to do so.

3. When is it appropriate to use "No problem, happy to help!"?

"No problem, happy to help!" can be used in various situations, such as when someone has asked for help, when someone has expressed gratitude, or when someone has apologized for inconveniencing you. It is a versatile phrase that can be used in both formal and informal settings.

4. Are there any other phrases that mean the same thing?

Yes, there are other similar phrases that convey the same sentiment, such as "Glad to assist," "My pleasure," and "You're welcome." These phrases all express a willingness to help and show gratitude for being given the opportunity to do so.

5. Why do people say "No problem, happy to help!" instead of just "You're welcome"?

"No problem, happy to help!" is seen as a more casual and informal response compared to "You're welcome." It conveys a friendly and approachable attitude, making the person feel more at ease. Additionally, it acknowledges that the person asking for help may have perceived their request as a problem or inconvenience, but the person is happy to have helped regardless.