Proving Topological Space L is Locally Homeomorphic to R but not Hausdorff

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter AiRAVATA
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
AiRAVATA
Messages
172
Reaction score
0
Hello guys. I need to prove the following:

Let [itex]X=(\mathbb{R}\times \{0\})\cup(\mathbb{R}\times\{1\})[/itex] and [itex](x,0)\sim (x,1)[/itex] when [itex]x \neq 0[/itex]. Prove that [itex]L:=X/\sim[/itex] is a topological space locally homeomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], but is not Hausdorff.

In order to prove that [itex]L[/itex] is homeomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], all I need to do is show a continuous function [itex]f:L\longrightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]f[/itex] is invertible and [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] is also continuous, right?

I am new at this, so I am a bit confused on the Hausdorff part. A topological space is not Hausdorff if there is a pair of distinct points [itex]x,\,y[/itex] such that there are open sets [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] so that [itex]x\in U[/itex] and [itex]y\in V[/itex], but [itex]U\cap V \neq \emptyset[/itex], right?

If what I stated above is true, then I need to find two open sets, one containing the point [itex](0,0)[/itex] and the other containing [itex](0,1)[/itex], such that their intersection is not empty? Will that be sufficient?

Thx for the help and sorry for my english.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AiRAVATA said:
In order to prove that [itex]L[/itex] is homeomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], all I need to do is show a continuous function [itex]f:L\longrightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]f[/itex] is invertible and [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] is also continuous, right?
You don't need to prove L homeomorphic to R, indeed you can't. You need to prove that it is locally homeomorphic to R. What is the definition of "locally homeomorphic"?
I am new at this, so I am a bit confused on the Hausdorff part. A topological space is not Hausdorff if there is a pair of distinct points [itex]x,\,y[/itex] such that there are open sets [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] so that [itex]x\in U[/itex] and [itex]y\in V[/itex], but [itex]U\cap V \neq \emptyset[/itex], right?
No, and the underlined part is wrong. You need to find distinct points x and y such that for every pair of open sets U and V containing x and y respectively, U and V have non-empty intersection.
 
Sorry for the late reply AKG... thanks anyway for the help...

On the Hausdorff part, I think I got it.

Any point in the upper line is related to any point in the lower line, except the origins. So, every open neigborhood of [itex](0,1)[/itex] will intersect with an open neighborhood containing the point [itex](0,0)[/itex]. Is this correct?

On the locally homeomorphic part... If I topologize my space with a basis of open subsets [itex]V \subset X[/itex] consisting of the following:

If [itex](0,1) \notin V[/itex], then [itex]V[/itex] is open as a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}\times\{0\}[/itex].
If [itex](0,1) \in V[/itex], then there is an open neighborhood [itex]W \subset (\mathbb{R}\times\{0\})[/itex] of [itex](0,0)[/itex] such that [itex]V=(W-\{(0,0)\})\cup\{(0,1)\}[/itex].

Then, for every point [itex]p\in X[/itex], there is an open neighborhood [itex]N \subseteq V[/itex], such that there exist a homeomorphism [itex]f:N\longrightarrow U \subset \mathbb{R}[/itex].

Such homeomorphism could be the projection function?

What dou you think? Is this correct?
 
Last edited:
What is the topology for L? You can't say a space is Hausdorff unless you know its topology. How do you know that {(0,0)} isn't an open set? It isn't, don't worry, but how do you know?

What is the definition of locally homeomorphic? Prior to this, I myself had never even seen anyone talk about a local homeomorphism. I just looked it up in my textbook, and if you're using the same definition as my book's, then whatever it is you're doing doesn't show local homeomorphism.
 
Last edited: