Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Psi-epistemic arguments against reality of quantum states

1. Jan 9, 2017 #1
    I was just reading a paper <predatory publisher reference deleted>

There is an argument (originally by Spekkens), in Section 2.1, that is supposed to be against psi-ontic interpretations. As I understand it, it's that if someone hands you a particle in state x+ or y+ you cannot tell the difference with certainty from a subsequent measurement. Although I realize this is true, the argument continues to say that, if those were 2 different ontic states then it's puzzling that you cannot necessarily tell the difference, and therefore taken as an argument against psi-ontic interpretations. This latter part is what I don't understand. Is there some reason to think that ontic states should be perfectly distinguishable from a single measurement? Why would this argument hold weight?

I have similar issues with the other arguments against psi-ontic interpretations in this section. Any clarifications would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Has that paper been published yet in a mainstream peer-reviewed journal? If not, it may not be an acceptable reference for starting a thread on the PF...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2017
  4. Jan 9, 2017 #3
    Yes, looks like both this paper and the paper this specific section references were peer reviewed.

5. Jan 9, 2017 #4

berkeman

Great! Please post the links to the peer-reviewed papers and we can keep this thread open for discussion. :smile:

6. Jan 9, 2017 #5

berkeman

From the Mentor discussion about this thread, it appears that the paper has not been published by a reputable source. Thread will remain closed until the OP can PM me a valid link for discussion. Thank you.

7. Jan 9, 2017 #6

Dale

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook