Pulleys Jh Homework Statement: Understanding the Concept of Pulleys

• Thread starter Jakecp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulleys
In summary, the student was trying to explain how a pulley with different distances between the ropes can create an imbalance, which in turn requires more force to keep the pulley in equilibrium. He failed to provide a full and concise explanation, and was later given a 4/10 on his homework.
Jakecp

Homework Statement

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfl1/v/t34.0-12/12231095_1486035821701632_2065647312_n.jpg?oh=dd0658f6afcfe91a852c72c3dab01560&oe=564836A2&__gda__=1447576857_f29a19be54068711687d57ac9593225d

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

None[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to do more first. Please read the guidelines.
What standard equations or theory do you expect to be relevant?
What have you tried? What's blocking you?

I just need to explain. I explained that the gravity center changed by this and that the pulley had more distance to go through in one side so there was no balance in the pulley making B statement true needing more force baceuse the lack of equilibrium. They put me a 4/10 saying that i made no effort but i have got another chance to improve. I don't know what else to put . Because I'm just in 7th grade i don't think i need an equation but just to explain. Any help is really welcome.

What i wrote :
b) because by changing the axis you are changing the center of gravity of the pulley that causes the need of more force on one side because there is not balance at all. One rope is having more weight than the other causing inequilibrium.

Last edited:
Gravity doesn't enter into it because you are supposed to ignore the mass of the pulley.
It rather implies you should ignore friction too, but that would not be right. You should ignore friction at the axle, but assume enough friction between rope and pulley that the rope does not slip.
Jakecp said:
the pulley had more distance to go through in one side so there was no balance in the pulley making B statement true .
You are on the right lines there. You can you put that more clearly?
Jakecp said:
i don't think i need an equation but just to explain.
Not necessarily an equation, but some relevant theory of mechanics that you may have come across. Think levers

haruspex said:
You are on the right lines there. You can you put that more clearly?
Forget that , i was wrong.

So , it would be b) but not because of the center of gravity but because of the rope friction not allowing the rope to move.

haruspex said:
Not necessarily an equation, but some relevant theory of mechanics that you may have come across. Think levers
What can i put? I could say that it does not have a mechanical advantage and that you need more force because of the friction.

Jakecp said:
Forget that , i was wrong.

So , it would be b) but not because of the center of gravity but because of the rope friction not allowing the rope to move.What can i put? I could say that it does not have a mechanical advantage and that you need more force because of the friction.
No, no. The pulley is still free to turn on its axis, it's just that the axis is not in the centre. Don't worry about the friction - I was just pointing out that the rope does not slip on the pulley.

so i was basically right at the beginning ?

Jakecp said:
so i was basically right at the beginning ?
The part I quoted in post #4 was getting there, but you weakened your original answer by mentioning several things that are not relevant too. Just concentrate on what it was you meant by the distances being different, and see if you can spell it out more clearly. You mentioned mechanical advantage...

Sometimes it helps to take an extreme example.
Suppose the axis were moved to the point where the left string contacts the pulley.
Then there would be no way to keep the pulley from tipping - right?

Thanks , this was used by my teacher to tell compound bows and how they work

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or cable wrapped around it. It is used to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift or move objects.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by redirecting the force applied to the rope or cable. When a force is applied to one end of the rope, the pulley wheel rotates and the object attached to the other end of the rope is lifted or moved.

3. What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys have a stationary axle and change only the direction of the force. Movable pulleys have a movable axle and also provide a mechanical advantage. Compound pulleys use a combination of fixed and movable pulleys to provide an even greater mechanical advantage.

4. What is the mechanical advantage of a pulley?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley is the ratio of the output force (the weight of the object being lifted) to the input force (the force applied to the rope or cable). The more pulleys used, the greater the mechanical advantage and the easier it is to lift heavy objects.

5. What are some common uses of pulleys?

Pulleys have many practical applications and are used in various industries such as construction, transportation, and manufacturing. Some common uses of pulleys include elevators, cranes, flagpoles, and even exercise equipment. They can also be found in everyday household items, such as blinds, curtains, and garage doors.