Calculating Net Torque for an Inclined Wheel: A Problem in Applied Physics

In summary, the net torque on the wheel in the given figure can be found by summing the individual torque contributions. To calculate the torque component with an angle, you need to use a trigonometric function (such as cosine or sine) to account for the direction of the force. In this case, the final result of 7.45 N⋅m was incorrect because the direction of the torque was not taken into account.
Erenjaeger

Homework Statement

Find the net torque on the wheel in the figure below about the axle through O, taking a = 13.0 cm and b = 31.0 cm. (Assume that the positive direction is counterclockwise.)
pic: https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd...._=1470130918_26fa32f17821823200ba75439cef0a52
[/B]

Homework Equations

τ=f⋅d[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

just sum all for torque, I thought you could just go
τ1=9.0N ⋅ 0.31m = 2.79 n⋅m
τ2=10.0N⋅0.31 = 3.1 N⋅ m
but the torque component with the angle shown, I calculated it the same and then summed all the values of torque together, and it said it was wrong, so I am assuming that you have to add something like a cosine or sine into that component because it isn't in a horizontal or vertical direction but 150° below the horizontal (positive x axis) any tips on how to solve this,?

Physics news on Phys.org
Erenjaeger said:
I calculated it the same
This does not actually show us what you did. Please specify the values you put in and the result you got.

Orodruin said:
This does not actually show us what you did. Please specify the values you put in and the result you got.
i don't understand how it doesn't show what i did? i completely explained what i did. the two net torques i gave how i calculated them and got 2.79 N.m and 3.1 N.m and said i did the same for the third component so obviously following that i went 12.0N x 0.13m which gave me 1.56 N.m, then i said i summed all my values for torque together, thus 2.79+3.1+1.56 which equals 7.45N.m but that value was incorrect. Does that explain it anymore or was there something else you need to know??

Erenjaeger said:
i completely explained what i did.
No, you left out this initially:
Erenjaeger said:
following that i went 12.0N x 0.13m

Erenjaeger said:
2.79+3.1+1.56
Think about directions (more precisely, "sense").

Erenjaeger said:
i don't understand how it doesn't show what i did? i completely explained what i did.
No you did not, you left out a crucial part, your computation of the last contribution and the final result. Haruspex has already given you a good hint. Try to interpret it and ask again if you still cannot work it out.

1. What is net torque?

Net torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is the combined effect of all the individual torques acting on the object.

2. How do you find the net torque?

To find the net torque, you need to determine the magnitude and direction of each individual torque acting on the object. Then, you can use the equation Στ = rFsinθ to calculate the total torque.

3. What is the unit of measurement for net torque?

The unit of measurement for net torque is newton-meter (Nm) in the SI system, and foot-pound (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

4. Can the net torque be zero?

Yes, the net torque can be zero if all the individual torques acting on the object cancel each other out. This means that the object will not experience rotational motion.

5. How is net torque different from net force?

Net torque and net force are both measures of the total effect of all the individual forces or torques acting on an object. However, net torque specifically refers to the rotational effect, while net force refers to the linear effect. Additionally, net torque takes into account the distance from the axis of rotation, while net force does not.