Put the "Preview" option just below the Edit window

  • Suggestion
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation suggests putting a "Preview" option at the bottom of the Edit window instead of having it float above the Edit and Preview windows. This would make it easier to access the "Attach files" and "Preview" options, especially for longer posts. The suggestion also includes moving the "Insert quotes" action to the end of the Edit window for better functionality. Additionally, the conversation discusses removing the push notification message at the bottom of the screen and suggests having the notification option or the option to close the message.
  • #1

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor
7,861
1,598
I suggest putting a "Preview" option at the bottom of the Edit window. Currently we have a "Preview" option that floats above both the Edit and Preview windows. Fixed to the end of the Preview window are "attach files" and a "preview" option. It seems to me that those options would be better attached to the end of the Edit window.

For short posts, the floating "Post thread" and "Preview" options remain visible during scrolling. However, in writing moderately long posts, I find those options can get obscured by a notification at the bottom of the pages ("Physics Forums | Science Articles,...").
 
  • Like
Likes Tom.G
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
Stephen Tashi said:
Fixed to the end of the Preview window are "attach files" and a "preview" option. It seems to me that those options would be better attached to the end of the Edit window.
They are for me. Can you screenshot what you're seeing?
 
  • #3
You have to scroll windows in a certain way for the problem to happen. Attached is a photo where no "Preview" option appears below the edit window. (Only the non-responsive "preview" label for the preview window appears.)
PhyForScreenShot.jpg
 
  • #4
It would give you a little more screen space to either enable push notifications or "X" out of that :smile:
 
  • #5
Greg Bernhardt said:
It would give you a little more screen space to either enable push notifications or "X" out of that :smile:

Only young people who use tiny fonts ever have enough screen space! - and I don't know what a "push notification" is.
 
  • Like
Likes Greg Bernhardt
  • #6
Stephen Tashi said:
Only young people who use tiny fonts ever have enough screen space! - and I don't know what a "push notification" is.
Windows or whatever OS you are using will alert you to a new post. If you want that, click the link otherwise click the X on the right to close the bar.
 
  • #7
Greg Bernhardt said:
Windows or whatever OS you are using will alert you to a new post. If you want that, click the link otherwise click the X on the right to close the bar.

That gets rid of the message at the bottom of the screen, but it doesn't solve the problem. There are still situations where, after editing a post, a person must scroll down through the old preview to get below it and select the "preview" option.
 
  • Like
Likes Tom.G and strangerep
  • #8
...and it would be better to put the "insert quotes" action at the end of the edit window instead of having it at the end of the preview window.
 
  • #9
Greg Bernhardt said:
They are for me. Can you screenshot what you're seeing?
Actually @Stephen Tashi means something like this:

245424


Basically for a long post, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to regenerate the preview. If these buttons were directly below the edit box, it would have been perhaps better.
 
  • Like
Likes Tom.G and strangerep
  • #10
Wrichik Basu said:
[...] Basically for a long post, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to regenerate the preview. If these buttons were directly below the edit box, it would have been perhaps better.
+1.
 

Suggested for: Put the "Preview" option just below the Edit window

Replies
6
Views
1K
Replies
1
Views
543
Replies
2
Views
828
Replies
2
Views
730
Replies
5
Views
775
Replies
5
Views
808
Back
Top