PV power plant efficiency math problem?

In summary: E9kg/yr * 1 yr/365 days * 1 day/24 hrs * 1 hr/3600 sec * 2.9E6 J/kg *.35 ) / 38.1 = 1.2E6 sq mAnd then convert sq m to hectares (10^4 sqm in a hectare) as in your very first post.In summary, the Cheviot open-pit coal mine in Alberta, Canada occupies 7,455 hectares and produces 1.4 million tonnes of coal per year. Using the energy content of coal of 29 MJ/kg and assuming 35% efficiency, the power output of the mine is 450 MW. To compare
courtneywetts

Homework Statement

The controversial Cheviot open-pit coal mine in Alberta, Canada occupies 7,455 hectares (one hectare= 10^4 m^2) and produces 1.4 million tonnes of coal per year.

a) use the energy content of coal of 29 MJ/kg to find the power in watts corresponding to this rate of coal production., assuming it is burned with 35% efficiency.

b) using the assumption of 254 W/m^2 and 15% PV efficiency, find the area of a PV plant with the power output, and compare that number with the area of the Cheviot mine.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A I did

1.4E9kg/yr * 1 yr/365 days * 1 day/24 hrs * 1 hr/3600 sec * 2.9E6 J/kg *.35 and got 450 MW

I have no idea how to start part B though

Physics news on Phys.org
In part a, 29 MJ/kg is NOT equal to 2.9*10^6 J/kg. Check again.

SteamKing said:
In part a, 29 MJ/kg is NOT equal to 2.9*10^6 J/kg. Check again.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong

Is 29 million the same as 2.9 million? 10^6 = 1 million.

Slightly bad question I think. Parts a and b aren't really comparing like with like. Part b is talking about the electrical power produced by PV where as part a is talking about the power embodied in the coal (which still has to be burnt to turn it into electrical power and that's not 100% efficient). Oh well let's ignore that discrepancy and just answer it as posed...

Part b tells you how many watts per square meter hit the solar panels (254 W/m^2). It tells you what percentage of that is converted to electrical power (15%). So you can calculate the electrical power produced per square meter of PV.

Part a gives you the total power output of the coal plant so you can work out how many square meters of PV you need to produce the same power output. (The word "same" is missing from the question).

Compare the area of PV with that of the coal plant. Perhaps express as a percentage?

CWatters said:
Slightly bad question I think. Parts a and b aren't really comparing like with like. Part b is talking about the electrical power produced by PV where as part a is talking about the power embodied in the coal (which still has to be burnt to turn it into electrical power and that's not 100% efficient). Oh well let's ignore that discrepancy and just answer it as posed...

Part b tells you how many watts per square meter hit the solar panels (254 W/m^2). It tells you what percentage of that is converted to electrical power (15%). So you can calculate the electrical power produced per square meter of PV.

Part a gives you the total power output of the coal plant so you can work out how many square meters of PV you need to produce the same power output. (The word "same" is missing from the question).

Compare the area of PV with that of the coal plant. Perhaps express as a percentage?

I am not sure how to calculate the electrical power produced per square meter? How would I do this?

Would I be finding 15% of 254?

The answer in the back of the book is in hectares. I am not sure how to get to that

Would I be finding 15% of 254?

Yes.

So each square meter produces 15% of 254W = 38.1W.

How many square meters of PV would you need to produce the same power output as the coal plant?

Convert the square meters to hectatares (the conversion factor is in the problem statement!)

CWatters said:
Yes.

So each square meter produces 15% of 254W = 38.1W.

How many square meters of PV would you need to produce the same power output as the coal plant?

Convert the square meters to hectatares (the conversion factor is in the problem statement!)

How would I go about finding the square meters?

CWatters said:
Slightly bad question I think. Parts a and b aren't really comparing like with like. Part b is talking about the electrical power produced by PV where as part a is talking about the power embodied in the coal (which still has to be burnt to turn it into electrical power and that's not 100% efficient).
As I read it, it is asking for the electrical power output of the mine, assuming 35% efficiency.
Of course, it overlooks that the PV can go on producing for millions of years, whereas the mine would eventually be worked out, leaving a large area of degraded land and spoil.

haruspex said:
As I read it, it is asking for the electrical power output of the mine, assuming 35% efficiency.
Of course, it overlooks that the PV can go on producing for millions of years, whereas the mine would eventually be worked out, leaving a large area of degraded land and spoil.

So how am I supposed to calculate part B?

courtneywetts said:
So how am I supposed to calculate part B?
You want the area of PV that would produce the electrical power as the coal mine, right? Suppose the area is A and the power output P. what equation can you write connecting them?

courtneywetts said:
How would I go about finding the square meters?

Example..

Suppose you needed to build a solar plant capable of producing 10 MW (=10 * 10^6 W). If each square meter produces just 38W then you will need 10 * 10^6 / 38 = 263,157 sqm of panels.

CWatters said:
Example..

Suppose you needed to build a solar plant capable of producing 10 MW (=10 * 10^6 W). If each square meter produces just 38W then you will need 10 * 10^6 / 38 = 263,157 sqm of panels.

So would I then do 254/38.1?

courtneywetts said:
It often helps to keep track of the units. The 254 is a number of Watts per sq m. The 38.1 is a number of Watts. If you divide Wm-2 by W what units will you have?

courtneywetts said:

Nope. Read my example again.

Replace the figure I used (10MW) with the figure you calculated for the power output of the coal mine.

CWatters said:
Nope. Read my example again.

Replace the figure I used (10MW) with the figure you calculated for the power output of the coal mine.

This would then be the from what I calculated in part A?

So then 4.5 x 10^6/ 38.1?

If what I did above was right i got 118,110 m^2.

The answer in the back of the book is 2360 hectares. How was this gotten?

courtneywetts said:
This would then be the from what I calculated in part A?

So then 4.5 x 10^6/ 38.1?
You seem to have replaced 450E6 with 4.5E6. Correcting that will get you to one half of the book answer. Can't explain the remaining discrepancy yet.

I also get 450MW as the answer for part a.

For part b I get..

450 * 10^6 / 38.1 = 11.8 million square meters = 1180 hectares.

Same as haruspex, I can't explain the factor of two difference either.

courtneywetts said:

Homework Statement

The controversial Cheviot open-pit coal mine in Alberta, Canada occupies 7,455 hectares (one hectare= 10^4 m^2) and produces 1.4 million tonnes of coal per year.

a) use the energy content of coal of 29 MJ/kg to find the power in watts corresponding to this rate of coal production., assuming it is burned with 35% efficiency.

b) using the assumption of 254 W/m^2 and 15% solar panel efficiency, find the area of a PV plant with the power output, and compare that number with the area of the Cheviot mine.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A I did

1.4E9kg/yr * 1 yr/365 days * 1 day/24 hrs * 1 hr/3600 sec * 2.9E6 J/kg *.35 and got 450 MW

I have no idea how to start part B though

Were you able to find the exact equation? I am facing similar problem so please share some information..Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)

Last edited:
courtneywetts said:
If what I did above was right i got 118,110 m^2.

The answer in the back of the book is 2360 hectares. How was this gotten?

Hint: You can burn coal at night.

:redface: Now why didn't I think of that. :redface:

gneill said:

I've a nasty suspicion that's the answer, but in that case I reject the question as flawed. The figure it gave for available sun power was a constant, not a function of time of day. On that basis (as is common practice) it should have represented a 24 hour average.

1. How is efficiency calculated for a PV power plant?

The efficiency of a PV power plant is calculated by dividing the output power (in watts) by the input power (in watts). This calculation takes into account factors such as the size and orientation of the solar panels, as well as any losses from shading, dust, and other environmental factors.

2. What is the typical efficiency of a PV power plant?

The typical efficiency of a PV power plant can vary depending on several factors, but it is generally in the range of 15-20%. This means that for every 100 watts of sunlight hitting the solar panels, the plant will produce 15-20 watts of usable electricity.

3. How does temperature affect the efficiency of a PV power plant?

As temperature increases, the efficiency of a PV power plant decreases. This is because the process of converting sunlight into electricity is less efficient at higher temperatures. Therefore, it is important to consider the location and climate when designing a PV power plant.

4. Can efficiency be improved for a PV power plant?

Yes, there are several ways to improve the efficiency of a PV power plant. One way is to use more efficient solar panels, such as monocrystalline or polycrystalline panels. Another way is to optimize the orientation and tilt angle of the panels to maximize sunlight exposure. Regular maintenance, such as cleaning the panels and trimming nearby trees, can also help improve efficiency.

5. How does efficiency impact the cost of a PV power plant?

The efficiency of a PV power plant directly impacts its cost. A higher efficiency plant will produce more electricity with the same amount of sunlight, resulting in a lower cost per watt of electricity. This is why it is important to consider efficiency when designing and selecting components for a PV power plant.