1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical Science Question on Electrical Power and Energy

1. May 15, 2012 #1
    1. An electric space heater draws 15.0 A from a 120 V source. It is operated, on average, for 5.0h (hours) each day. a) How much power does the heater use and b) At $.10 per kWh, what does it cost to operate the heater for 30 days?
    2. Suppose each person in the United States uses 12,000 kWh of electricity a year and the power plants using coal to generate electricity are 40% efficient. If 1.0 kg of burned coal releases 33.0 mJ a) how much coal will be burned during a year for a family of four b) how large a pile of coal would that be (using 2620 kg/ m^3) c) how much heat is given off to the environment

power= current x voltage, energy= power x time

I can find a) at 1800 w (watts), but I have no idea where to start on part b.
    For 2, I'm unsure of where to star. I know the family of four would use 48,000 kWh a year, but after that, I'm lost

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

A kWh is the energy equivalent to one kilowatt for one hour duration. As you may recall, a Watt is equivalent to a Joule per second (J/s). So a kWh is 1000 W x 1hr = 3.6 x 106 J.

For the first question you should be able to work out how many hours the heater runs in the 30 day period, and then find the kWh, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook