1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pythagorean Theorem and Pendulums

1. Jun 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the maximum speed of the 100 g pendulum mass when it has a length of 100 cm and an amplitude of 50cm. sorry my computer won't access the other thread. i don't know any other laws of conservations of energy or trig very well. also, when the pendulum as an amplitude of 50 cm , how does this lend me knowledge.

2. Relevant equations
    pythagorean theorem (i would like to use this).
    a=9.8 m/s2
    what does amplitude mean, the pendulums height, or how far the pendulum is from its maximum speed point

3. The attempt at a solution
    max of pendulum is at bottom.
    pendulum starts gainig speed of a from top till reaches bottom.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I assume that this means the pendulum mass reaches a height of 50cm above the lowest point.

Hint: Consider conservation of mechanical energy.
  4. Jun 8, 2007 #3
    you cannot solve this problem without using pythagorean theorem, so don't worry :smile:
    the amplitude of a pendulum is the displacement of the bob from the equilibrium position. it is not the arc length or anything, it is the displacement.

first draw a figure and call one of the distances you don't know x
    then write the others in terms of x

then, u will need to solve a quadratic which u will form by using pythagorean theorem. and u will get 2 values for x. which one do you think is more reasonable to use?

when u get x, construct an equation concerning conservation of energy. think about what the maximum speed impilies

then solve your equation to get the max. speed
  5. Jun 8, 2007 #4
    the amplitude of a pendulum is defined to be the displacement from the equilibrium position
  6. Jun 8, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good point! :wink:
  7. Jun 9, 2007 #6
    Soley101 did u get the answer?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?