Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QFT, excitation of quantum field, physical or mathematical?

1. Nov 8, 2015 #1

ajv

In, QFT, an elementary particles is an excitation of its quantum field. Quantum fields are just mathematical. For example an electron is excitation of the electron field. But is the excitation of the field physically real or just mathematical? What i mean is, is there something physically existing where the excitation is?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2015 #2

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Properties of the quantum fields (its mass density, charge density, response to external fields, etc.) can be measured and predicted in the same way as all quantum observables. There is therefore nothing unreal about a quantum field. They are at least as real as their excitations, the elementary particles.

In fact, quantum fields are far more physical than mathematical. In particular, interacting quantum fields in 4 dimensions do not yet make mathematical sense, while physicists use them all the time.

The field is what really exists, i.e., the medium, and the excitations are its oscillations. Just like water waves are excitations (local, extended oscillations) of water, which is the medium carrying the waves. The main difference is that water waves are not quantized, so that there are no 'elementary' excitations.

4. Nov 8, 2015 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Do you have an example at hand?

5. Nov 8, 2015 #4

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The most accurate physical theory currently known, namely QED, is not known to exist as a mathematically well-defined conceptual framework. The reason is that there is so far no logically consistent definition of a quantum field for which the physicist's (renormalized) QED interaction has been proved to exist. QCD, weak interactions, or the standard model are other examples.

On the other hand, the quantum fields considered in solid state theory, have a solid mathematical existence. They describe the deformation of crystals, currents in metals, and the like.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  6. Nov 8, 2015 #5

ajv

What college do you teach physics at? Im just curious thats all

7. Nov 8, 2015 #6

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I teach mathematics. Type my name into Google to find out.

8. Nov 8, 2015 #7

ajv

Then how do you know stuff about QM? Did you get your PhD in physics?

9. Nov 8, 2015 #8

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Through reading, thinking, and discussing it. QM is no different form other subjects - they can be learnt given interest, dedication, and not too little intelligence.

See Chapter C4: How to learn theoretical physics of my theoretical Physics FAQ.

10. Nov 8, 2015 #9

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook