QHE ' the effective action should be a local functional'

In summary, the effective action in the context of long distances is a local functional, which can be written as ##S_{eff}[A]=\int d^d x...##. This idea is discussed in David Tong's notes on quantum Hall effect, specifically in chapter 5, which can be found on page 145 of the PDF. Tong also uses ##A \to A + \partial_{\mu}## in his notes, which may be related to the concept of connection and potential. In this approximation, the connection may vanish similarly to how it does in general relativity. Tong later refers to ##a_{\mu}## as a connection instead of a potential when discussing non-Abelian Chern-Simons
binbagsss
' Finally, if we care only about long distances, the effective action should be a local functional, meaning that we can write is as ##S_{eff}[A]=\int d^d x...## '

Where does this come from and what does it mean? This isn't at all familiar with me, and I don't recall ever seeing anything similar. Thanks.
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qhe/five.pdf , page 145 David Tong notes QHE , chapter 5

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
' Finally, if we care only about long distances, the effective action should be a local functional, meaning that we can write is as ##S_{eff}[A]=\int d^d x...## '

Where does this come from and what does it mean? This isn't at all familiar with me, and I don't recall ever seeing anything similar. Thanks.
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qhe/five.pdf , page 145 David Tong notes QHE , chapter 5

Also in his notes I see he uses ##A \to A + \partial_{\mu}## as a pose to ##D_{\mu} \omega ##, is this linked to the above? Is this sort of anagolous to GR where the 'connection vansihes' in this approximation or something - I make out the terms connection and potential are related from the notes but must differ somehow- in particular he later refers to ##a_{\mu}## as a connection as a pose to a potential (on the discussion of non-Albelian CS), the covaraint derivaitve I believe is defined to be the partial \pm i connection/potential ..I'm not sure exactly which formally, thanks

1. What is QHE?

QHE stands for Quantum Hall Effect, which is a phenomenon observed in two-dimensional electron systems at low temperatures and strong magnetic fields.

2. What is the effective action in QHE?

The effective action is a mathematical tool used in theoretical physics to describe the dynamics of a system. In QHE, it describes the behavior of the electrons in a two-dimensional system under the influence of a strong magnetic field.

3. Why is the effective action in QHE a local functional?

The effective action in QHE is a local functional because it depends only on the local properties of the system, such as the local electron density and magnetic field strength. This makes it a more efficient and accurate way to describe the system compared to other methods.

4. How is the effective action calculated in QHE?

The effective action in QHE is typically calculated using a technique called the path integral approach, which involves summing over all possible paths of the electrons in the system. This allows for a more complete and accurate description of the system's behavior.

5. What are the applications of the effective action in QHE?

The effective action in QHE has many applications in both theoretical and experimental research. It can be used to predict and explain the behavior of electrons in two-dimensional systems, and has also been used in the development of new technologies such as quantum computers and topological insulators.