Reading canonical commutation relations from the action (QHE)

In summary, canonical quantization is a method used to guess the quantum theory version of a classical dynamical model formulated with the action principle. This involves defining canonical conjugate field momenta and using them to determine the observable algebra through commutation or anticommutation relations. However, this method can be unreliable and alternative approaches, such as using group theory, may be safer.
binbagsss
Hi

I'm sure i understood this a week or so ago, and I've forgot the idea now. I'm just really confused, again, how you read the commutator relationships of from the action ?
action.png

comms.png

many thanks

(source http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qhe/five.pdf)

Physics news on Phys.org
This is called "canonical quantization" and is a recipe to make a guess for a quantum theory analogue of a classical dynamical model formulated with the action principle. This is of course very dangerous, because it works sometimes but sometimes it doesn't. E.g., if you "canonically quantize" the spinning top (in non-relativistic QT) you run in trouble when doing it too naively. Safer ground is the analysis in terms of group theory a la Noether.

With that caveat, the logic of canonical quantization (for field theories) is that you have a Lagrangian involving some fields ##\phi_k## of the form
$$\mathcal{L}=\mathcal{L}(\phi_k, \dot{\phi}_k,\vec{\nabla} \phi_k).$$
Then you define the canonical conjugated field momenta,
$$\Pi_k=\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{\phi}_k},$$
and then do the usual "translation" from (functional) Poisson brackets to commutators (bosons) or anticommutators (fermions) of field operators. In the Heisenberg picture, it's the equal-time commutator,
$$[\hat{\phi}_k(t,\vec{x}),\hat{\Pi}_l(t,\vec{y})]=\mathrm{i} \hbar \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{y}).$$
This defines the observable algebra, and if you are lucky that algebra makes physical sense ;-)).

Likes weirdoguy and Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
E.g., if you "canonically quantize" the spinning top (in non-relativistic QT) you run in trouble when doing it too naively.
I didn't know that, can you give some reference?

Likes weirdoguy
binbagsss said:
Hi

I'm sure i understood this a week or so ago, and I've forgot the idea now. I'm just really confused, again, how you read the commutator relationships of from the action ?
View attachment 252531
View attachment 252532

many thanks

(source http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qhe/five.pdf)
From the action, you read off the Lagrangian [tex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{me^{2}}{4\pi \hbar} \ \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho} \ a_{\mu} \partial_{\nu} a_{\rho} .[/tex] Now, calculate [tex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\sigma}a_{\tau})} = \frac{me^{2}}{2\pi \hbar} \ \epsilon^{\mu \sigma \tau} \ a_{\mu} .[/tex] Now, setting [itex]\sigma = 0[/itex] and [itex]\tau = 1[/itex], you obtain the conjugate momentum [tex]\pi^{1}(x) = \frac{me^{2}}{2\pi \hbar} \epsilon^{012} \ a_{2} (x),[/tex] or [tex]\pi^{1} (x^{\prime}) = \frac{me^{2}}{2\pi \hbar} \ a_{2}( x^{\prime} ) .[/tex]The result follows If substitute this in the postulated canonical commutation relation [tex]\big[ a_{1} (x) , \pi^{1} (x^{\prime}) \big] = i\hbar \delta^{2} (x - x^{\prime}).[/tex]

Likes strangerep
Demystifier said:
I didn't know that, can you give some reference?
I think it's an example in Hagen Kleinert's book on path integrals.

1. What are canonical commutation relations?

Canonical commutation relations are a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describe the relationship between two observables, such as position and momentum. They specify how these observables behave when measured simultaneously, and are essential for understanding the uncertainty principle and the quantization of physical systems.

2. How are canonical commutation relations related to the quantum Hall effect (QHE)?

The quantum Hall effect is a phenomenon observed in two-dimensional electron systems under a strong magnetic field. The motion of electrons in this system can be described using the Landau levels, which are energy levels that are quantized due to the magnetic field. The canonical commutation relations for position and momentum can be derived from the action of the electrons in these Landau levels, providing a theoretical explanation for the QHE.

3. What is the significance of reading canonical commutation relations from the action in the QHE?

Reading canonical commutation relations from the action allows us to understand the fundamental principles underlying the quantum Hall effect. It provides a connection between the macroscopic observable behavior of the QHE and the microscopic quantum mechanical behavior of the electrons in the system. This approach also allows for a deeper understanding of the role of symmetries in the QHE and their connection to the commutation relations.

4. Can canonical commutation relations be derived from other methods besides reading them from the action?

Yes, canonical commutation relations can be derived using other methods, such as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle or the Schrödinger equation. However, reading them from the action provides a more direct and intuitive understanding of their connection to the QHE and the underlying physical principles.

5. Are canonical commutation relations unique to the QHE or are they applicable to other systems?

Canonical commutation relations are a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and are applicable to all quantum systems, not just the QHE. They describe the relationship between observables in any quantum system and are essential for understanding the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.