1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic lower/upper bound of a function

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1
    Hi folks,

I have a function f(t), and I want to find 2nd order polynomials that lower/upper bound f(t) in a fixed interval. For instance,

f(t) = exp(2t), 0.1<t<0.4

Find a,b,c so that g(t) = a + b t +c t^2 <f(t) for the given interval

I have been googling for the solution, but apparently no one cares about this problem, although I was expecting it to be already solved :( Anyone could give me a reference to look at? Books, papers, whatever.. Oh, by the way, f(t) does not have to be convex.

Thanks a lot!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2
    Sorry, I forgot to mention, I assume some benign conditions for the function so that there always exist a lower and upper bound in the given interval (I could always pick a constant as the bounds but I want something better). Actually, the functions that I have to bound will always be of the form:

exp(\alpha t) , exp(\alpha t)*cos(\beta t), exp(\alpha t)*cos^2(\beta t)

It's weird that I didn't find a systematic approach for finding such bounds..

Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?