Quadratic Regression calculation

In summary: The partial derivatives are more complicated but the method is the same.In summary, the process for calculating both linear and quadratic regression involves minimizing a function of multiple variables through simultaneous linear equations. The formulas for linear least squares regression can be derived by taking the partial derivatives of the function and setting them equal to zero. The same method can be applied to quadratic regression, but with a function of three variables.
pyfgcr
Hi, I'm learning statistic. Do you guys know how to calculate quadratic regression by hand, which is: give a data set (x,y), find a parabola f(x)=ax^2+bx+c that minimize the total square errors .
I have known how to calculate linear regression.
Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write out the function that is to be minimized and then write its derivative. You get a a system of simultaneous linear equations. If you cannot visualize this using the summation notation [itex] \Sigma [/itex] then try making up 4 (x,y) data pairs and doing it.

A system of simultaneous linear equation: ax^2 + bx + c , derivative: 2ax + b ?
I don't really understand

pyfgcr said:
A system of simultaneous linear equation: ax^2 + bx + c , derivative: 2ax + b ?
I don't really understand

Perhaps you haven't studied how the formulas for linear least squares regression are derived.

In linear regression there are [itex] n [/itex] data points [itex] {(x_1,y_2), (x_2,y_2),...(x_n,y_n) }. [/itex] The function to be minimized is [itex] G(A,B) = \sum_{i=1}^n (A x_i + B - y_i)^2 [/itex] and deriving the formulas involves taking the partial derivatives of [itex] G(A,B) [/itex] with respect to each of [itex] A [/itex] and [itex] B [/itex] and setting them equal to zero to obtain two simultaneous linear equations. Look up how that is done.

The method for the quadratic is similar. It involves minimzing a function of 3 variables [itex] G(A,B,C) [/itex].

Hi there, as a scientist, I can definitely help you with calculating quadratic regression by hand. Quadratic regression is a statistical method used to find the best-fit parabola for a given data set. This parabola is represented by the equation f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are the coefficients that we need to find.

To calculate these coefficients, we first need to find the sums of the x-values, y-values, and x^2-values in the data set. Let's call these sums Σx, Σy, and Σx^2. We also need to find the sums of the products of x and y-values, and x^2 and y-values, which we will call Σxy and Σx^2y.

Using these values, we can calculate the coefficients as follows:

a = [Σxy - (Σx * Σy)/n] / [Σx^2 - (Σx)^2/n]
b = [Σx^2 * Σy - Σx * Σxy] / [Σx^2 - (Σx)^2/n]
c = [Σy - b * Σx - a * Σx^2] / n

Where n is the total number of data points in the set.

Once we have calculated the coefficients, we can plug them into the equation f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c to get the best-fit parabola for the data set. This parabola will minimize the total square errors, meaning it will be the closest possible fit to the data points.

I hope this helps you understand how to calculate quadratic regression by hand. Let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your statistics learning!

1. What is Quadratic Regression?

Quadratic Regression is a statistical method used to model and analyze data that follows a parabolic curve. It is a type of non-linear regression that is useful for predicting future values of a variable based on past data.

2. How is the Quadratic Regression equation calculated?

The Quadratic Regression equation is calculated using the method of least squares, which minimizes the sum of the squared differences between the actual data points and the predicted values. This involves finding the coefficients that best fit the parabolic curve to the data.

3. What is the purpose of Quadratic Regression?

The purpose of Quadratic Regression is to find a mathematical model that closely fits the relationship between two variables that follow a parabolic curve. This can then be used to make predictions or understand the relationship between the variables.

4. How is Quadratic Regression different from Linear Regression?

Quadratic Regression is different from Linear Regression in that it models a curved relationship between two variables, while Linear Regression models a linear relationship. Quadratic Regression is also a type of non-linear regression, while Linear Regression is a type of linear regression.

5. What are the limitations of Quadratic Regression?

One limitation of Quadratic Regression is that it can only be used to model data that follows a parabolic curve. If the relationship between the variables is not parabolic, then the results may be inaccurate. Additionally, Quadratic Regression can be sensitive to outliers in the data and may not perform well with small sample sizes.