Quadratic Regression calculation

• Thread starter pyfgcr
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi, I'm learning statistic. Do you guys know how to calculate quadratic regression by hand, which is: give a data set (x,y), find a parabola f(x)=ax^2+bx+c that minimize the total square errors .
I have known how to calculate linear regression.
Thanks in advanced.

Answers and Replies

Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Write out the function that is to be minimized and then write its derivative. You get a a system of simultaneous linear equations. If you cannot visualize this using the summation notation [itex] \Sigma [/itex] then try making up 4 (x,y) data pairs and doing it.

A system of simultaneous linear equation: ax^2 + bx + c , derivative: 2ax + b ?
I don't really understand

Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
A system of simultaneous linear equation: ax^2 + bx + c , derivative: 2ax + b ?
I don't really understand
Perhaps you haven't studied how the formulas for linear least squares regression are derived.

In linear regression there are [itex] n [/itex] data points [itex] {(x_1,y_2), (x_2,y_2),...(x_n,y_n) }. [/itex] The function to be minimized is [itex] G(A,B) = \sum_{i=1}^n (A x_i + B - y_i)^2 [/itex] and deriving the formulas involves taking the partial derivatives of [itex] G(A,B) [/itex] with respect to each of [itex] A [/itex] and [itex] B [/itex] and setting them equal to zero to obtain two simultaneous linear equations. Look up how that is done.

The method for the quadratic is similar. It involves minimzing a function of 3 variables [itex] G(A,B,C) [/itex].