Quadratics as Important Chapter for SAT Math

In summary: But I have not been taught quadratics in high school, unfortunately.Algebra 1:Includes products to produce quadratic expressions and the factorization of quadratic expressions and maybe an introduction to graphing quadratic equations.Algebra 2:Among other topics, further develops knowledge of quadratic equations, functions, Completing The Square, and finding solutions to quadratic equations with the general solution. Also will include Conic Sections which also rely on completing the square, and graphs for these Conic Sections.If you have not yet studied "Algebra 2" or Intermediate Algebra at your high school, do so!You can also refresh your knowledge of high
bagasme
Hello,

Recently I viewed a blog post about SAT Math preparation. It stated that quadratics is the chapter which is most asked in SAT, and if I don't master the chapter, I can't answer most SAT problems. IMO, this statement above implied that quadratics (quadratic equation) is the core chapter which must be mastered for SAT, analogous to Values and Norms chapter in Sociology tests.

Is it true that quadratics is the most important subject I have to master for SAT Math?

Cheers, Bagas

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say for sure but consider that the SAT is limited in the kinds of questions it can ask and consider that you've probably spent more time than you care to imagine working with quadratics in all kinds of problems.

Putting the two together, it's not hard to see that quadratics fit nicely with multiple choice questions and are used in many places in high school math ala:
- factoring methods,
- quadratic formula
- multiplying,
- finding roots,
- plotting them,
- solving area problems given the area and some description of the sides in terms of x,
- the Pascal triangle relationship,
- differentiation of quadratics if you've had calculus,
- quadratics and trig functions
- quadratics and complex numbers...

Here's some discussion on them:

https://collegereadiness.collegeboa...son-plan-math-operations-with-polynomials.pdf

jedishrfu said:
I can't say for sure but consider that the SAT is limited in the kinds of questions it can ask and consider that you've probably spent more time than you care to imagine working with quadratics in all kinds of problems.

Putting the two together, it's not hard to see that quadratics fit nicely with multiple choice questions and are used in many places in high school math ala:
- factoring methods,
- quadratic formula
- multiplying,
- finding roots,
- plotting them,
- solving area problems given the area and some description of the sides in terms of x,
- the Pascal triangle relationship,
- differentiation of quadratics if you've had calculus,
- quadratics and trig functions
- quadratics and complex numbers...

Here's some discussion on them:

https://collegereadiness.collegeboa...son-plan-math-operations-with-polynomials.pdf

But I have not been taught quadratics in high school, unfortunately.

jedishrfu said:
What? That's not right.

Quadratics are taught in Algebra I where you learn to facotr them and then later learn the quadratic formula.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_function
Take a look at these video topics from Algebra I and see if you covered them.

Perhaps your teacher called them binomials.

http://www.mathispower4u.com/algebra.php
Scan down the third column to see ploynomials and binomials.

I missed quadratic equations because it wasn't listed in curriculum of my high school. Strangely, in final exam it was asked

bagasme said:
But I have not been taught quadratics in high school, unfortunately.
Algebra 1:
Includes products to produce quadratic expressions and the factorization of quadratic expressions and maybe an introduction to graphing quadratic equations.

Algebra 2:
Among other topics, further develops knowledge of quadratic equations, functions, Completing The Square, and finding solutions to quadratic equations with the general solution. Also will include Conic Sections which also rely on completing the square, and graphs for these Conic Sections.

If you have not yet studied "Algebra 2" or Intermediate Algebra at your high school, do so!

Likes jedishrfu
You can also refresh your knowledge of high school math via:

www.mathispower4u.com

video shorts or via Khan Academy.

1. What are quadratics and why are they important in SAT Math?

Quadratics are mathematical expressions that involve a variable raised to the second power. They are important in SAT Math because they are a fundamental concept that is heavily tested on the exam. Understanding quadratics is essential for solving a variety of algebraic equations and word problems.

2. What are the key topics related to quadratics that I should focus on for the SAT?

The key topics related to quadratics that you should focus on for the SAT include solving quadratic equations by factoring, using the quadratic formula, finding the vertex and roots of a parabola, and solving word problems involving quadratics.

3. How can I improve my understanding of quadratics for the SAT?

The best way to improve your understanding of quadratics for the SAT is to practice solving a variety of problems. You can also review the key concepts and formulas related to quadratics and make sure you understand how to apply them in different scenarios. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial.

4. Are there any strategies for quickly solving quadratic equations on the SAT?

Yes, there are a few strategies that can help you quickly solve quadratic equations on the SAT. These include factoring, using the quadratic formula, and using the "guess and check" method. It's important to practice these strategies so you can quickly identify which one will be most effective for a given problem.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve quadratic equations on the SAT?

No, the SAT Math section does not allow the use of a calculator. This is why it's important to practice solving quadratic equations by hand and using mental math strategies to solve them quickly and accurately.