Quadratics, i was good until here.

• Thread starter offtheleft
  • Start date
In summary: C\hat{y}_{2}...= \frac{6}{4}x^2 - 2x + 4[/tex]point D\hat{y}_{3}...= \frac{10}{8}x^2 - 4x + 8[/tex]y = \frac{1}{2}x^2 + 3x + 1[/tex]with that info, i don't know how i got from there to here(our first model):\hat{y}_{1} = \frac
offtheleft
im going to try to make this as short and easy to follow as possible haha

and I am just warning, this is probably so simple that i can't even grasp it because I am reading too deeply into it.

okay, I am working with these three points:
[tex]A (0, 1)
C (2, 6)
D (3, 10)[/tex]

i worked them into three equations, the first one is killing me though!

[tex] a(0)^2 + b (0) + c = 1[/tex] this is the one I am having trouble with, i can't set it up properly because all i have is [tex]c = 1[/tex]

i have for the other two:

[tex]C. . ., 4a + 2b +c = 6[/tex]

[tex]D. . ., 9a + 3b + c = 10[/tex]

now, in order to get my model for [tex]y = ax^2 + bx + c[/tex]

how would i set this up, other than that I am doing alright..

Physics news on Phys.org
offtheleft said:
im going to try to make this as short and easy to follow as possible haha

and I am just warning, this is probably so simple that i can't even grasp it because I am reading too deeply into it.

okay, I am working with these three points:
[tex]A (0, 1)
C (2, 6)
D (3, 10)[/tex]

i worked them into three equations, the first one is killing me though!

[tex] a(0)^2 + b (0) + c = 1[/tex] this is the one I am having trouble with, i can't set it up properly because all i have is [tex]c = 1[/tex]

i have for the other two:

[tex]C. . ., 4a + 2b +c = 6[/tex]

[tex]D. . ., 9a + 3b + c = 10[/tex]now, in order to get my model for [tex]y = ax^2 + bx + c[/tex]

how would i set this up, other than that I am doing alright..

Well from the first equation you have found that c=1, so just sub that into the following two equations and then you have a system of two equations in two variables (a and b). Why should the first one cause any trouble?

[tex] a(0)^2 + b (0) + c = 1[tex]
this is the one I am having trouble with, i can't set it up properly because all i have is
[tex] c=1 [/tex]
You SHOULD get a + 0 + c = 1

Continue from there and you should have no trouble.

like i said, so simple that i can't eve grasp it.

thanks, ill see how it works out! :)
-------

i got:

[tex]y = \frac{1}{2}x^2 + 3x + 1[/tex]

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
[tex] a(0)^2 + b (0) + c = 1[/tex]
this is the one I am having trouble with, i can't set it up properly because all i have is
[tex] c=1 [/tex]
You SHOULD get a + 0 + c = 1
No, you shouldn't. 02= 0, not 1. c= 1 is correct.

HallsofIvy said:
No, you shouldn't. 02= 0, not 1. c= 1 is correct.

i used [tex]c = 1[/tex]. I am quite confident that the answer i got[tex](
y = \frac{1}{2}x^2 + 3x + 1)[/tex] is incorrect. when i plug in all the numbers, get the changes from the original y value and square it, i get all sorts of weird answers for this one. usually, its all 0's except for one value but that's not happening.

offtheleft said:
i used [tex]c = 1[/tex]. I am quite confident that the answer i got[tex](
y = \frac{1}{2}x^2 + 3x + 1)[/tex] is incorrect. when i plug in all the numbers, get the changes from the original y value and square it, i get all sorts of weird answers for this one. usually, its all 0's except for one value but that's not happening.

Perhaps you solved the system of equations incorrectly. Have a look at your working, and if you still can't figure it out, post your working here :smile:

danago said:
Perhaps you solved the system of equations incorrectly. Have a look at your working, and if you still can't figure it out, post your working here :smile:

okay, here's what we did in class:

four points;
[tex]A (0, 1)[/tex]
[tex]B (1, 2)[/tex]
[tex]C (2, 6)[/tex]
[tex]D (3, 10[/tex]

we went over (what I am sure everyone here, including my self, already know. its good to think about and keep fresh in my mind) how two points define a line and for a function such as a half of a parabola, (at least) three points are required.

for our first model, we chose points [tex]ABC[/tex].

i have three equations:

[tex]c =1[/tex]
[tex]1a + 1b + c = 2[/tex]
[tex]4a + 2b + c = 6[/tex]

with that info, i don't know how i got from there to here(our first model):

[tex]\hat{y}_{1} = \frac{3}{2}x^2 - \frac{1}{2}x + 1[/tex]

plug in all the numbers to get the residual (the problem i had last time, but now i can do it in my sleep).

heres what I am about to do, hopefully i can elaborate enough.

im going to plug in the numbers from all four points, not just the three that i am using for this model.
point [tex]A[/tex]

[tex]\hat{y}_{1} = \frac{3}{2}(0)^2 - \frac{1}{2}(0) + 1 = 1[/tex]

[tex](y - \hat{y}_{1})^2 = 0[/tex] (the residual)

[tex](0 - 0)^2 = 0[/tex]

point [tex]B[/tex]

[tex]\hat{y}_{1} = \frac{3}{2}(1)^2 - \frac{1}{2}(1) + 1 = 2[/tex]

[tex](y - \hat{y}_{1})^2 = 0[/tex] (the residual)

[tex](2 - 2)^2 = 0[/tex]

im posting this now and will continue immediately. this is just to be sure nothing happens and i have to redo the whole thing.

point [tex]C[/tex]

[tex]\hat{y}_{1} = \frac{3}{2}(2)^2 - \frac{1}{2}(2) + 1 = 6[/tex]

[tex](y - \hat{y}_{1})^2 = 0[/tex]

[tex](0 - 0)^2 = 0 [/tex]

heres where it finally changes!

[tex]\hat{y}_{1} = \frac{3}{2}(3)^2 - \frac{1}{2}(3) + 1 = 13[/tex]

[tex](y - \hat{y}_{1})^2 = 9[/tex]

[tex](10 - 13)^2 = 0 [/tex]

so for model [tex]ABC[/tex]

[tex]\hat{y}_{1} = \frac{3}{2}x^2 - \frac{1}{2}x + 1[/tex]

[tex]\sum(y - \hat{y}_{1})^2 = 9[/tex]

the sum of our residual is nine

the second model is with points [tex]ABD[/tex]

heres how it looks: [tex]\hat{y}_{2} = x^2 + 1[/tex]

(this was done is class as well)

plug in the numbers

everything is 0 except for point [tex]C[/tex] which will look like this:

heres how it looks: [tex]\hat{y}_{2} = 2^2 + 1 = 5[/tex]

[tex](6 - 5)^2 = 1[/tex]

so,

[tex]\sum(y_{1} - \hat{y}_{2})^2 = 1[/tex]

our third model, well, fourth, the third one is the one i am trying to figure out:

ill keep it short, i demonstrated how everything was done in the first long post. :)

this is done with points [tex]BCD[/tex]

the model looks like this: [tex]\hat{y}_{4} = 4x^2 - 2[/tex]

all but the first point were 0's. ill plug in the number

[tex]\hat{y}_{4} = 4(o)^2 - 2 = -2[/tex]

[tex](1 - 2)^2 = 1[/tex]

so for: [tex]\hat{y}_{4} = 4x^2 - 2; \sum(y - \hat{y}_{4})^2 = 1[/tex]

In your original post you said the points were A(0,1), B(2, 6), C(3, 10)
Writing y= ax2+ bx+ c, those give a02[/sub]+ b0+ c= 1 or c= 1, 4a+ 2b+ c= 6, and 9a+ 3b+ c= 10. Since c= 1, the last two are 4a+ 2b+ 1= c or 4a+ 2b= 5 and 9a+ 3b+ 1= 10 or 9a+ 3b= 9. If you multiply the first of those equations by 3 you get 12a+ 6b= 15 and if you multiply the second by 2 you get 18a+ 6b= 18. Subtracting the first from the second, 6a= 3 so a= 1/2. Then 4a+ 2b= 5 becomes 2+ 2b= 5 so 2b= 3 and b= 3/2, not b= 3.

The equation if y= (1/2)x2+ (3/2)x+ 1.

But later you give A(0, 1), B(1, 2), C(2, 6), D(3, 10). The equation y= (1/2)x2+ (3/2)x+ 1 gives y(0)= (1/2)(0)+ (3/2)(0)+ 1= 1, y(1)= (1/2)(1)+ (3/2)(1)+ 1= 3, y(2)= (1/2)4+ (3/2)2+ 1= 6, and y(3)= (1/2)9+ (3/2)3+ 1= 10. That is correct for all except B(1,2) which was NOT in the original problem. You can, in general, fit a parabola through 3 given points but not 4. There is no quadratic function whose graph will pass through all 4 points.

If you have 4 points, you should try a cubic formula: y= ax3+ bx2+ cx+ d so that the 4 points will give 4 equations for the 4 coefficients.

What are quadratics?

Quadratics are mathematical expressions or equations containing a variable raised to the second power (x^2). They can be written in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants.

What is the purpose of studying quadratics?

Studying quadratics allows us to better understand and analyze real-world phenomena such as the motion of objects, the shape of parabolic curves, and the behavior of certain physical systems.

What are the common methods for solving quadratic equations?

The most common methods for solving quadratic equations are factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of equations.

What is the discriminant in a quadratic equation?

The discriminant, denoted as Δ or b^2-4ac, is a value used to determine the number and nature of solutions for a quadratic equation. It is also used to find the x-intercepts of a parabola.

How are quadratics used in real life?

Quadratics have many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of physical systems, optimize processes, and analyze data.