1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Qualitative question about inertia and gravity

1. Sep 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Why does an object with a bigger mass(more inertia) accelerate the same as an object with a lesser mass(less inertia) when in free fall?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2015 #2
    Well, what do you think?

4. Sep 19, 2015 #3
    I think I'm confused because an object with more inertia should resist it's change in state of motion more

5. Sep 19, 2015 #4
    Great. So what must that say about the force of gravity?

6. Sep 19, 2015 #5
    the force of gravity is constant and causes a downward or negative acceleration.

7. Sep 19, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The force is constant for a given mass?, or are you saying it's the same for all masses?

8. Sep 19, 2015 #7
    Ermmm......a no would do. Remember Newton's law of universal gravitation explicitly indicates that distance between is crucial to the magnitude of the gravitational force two masses experience.

Analyze.... more mass, greater inertia(or vice versa). We expect the more massive body to resist acceleration compared to the other when acted on by the same force. This is the case we havs two different bodies of different inertia, but their accelerations are equal. This directly means a difference in.........

9. Sep 20, 2015 #8
    well the force of gravity is m*g , so a greater mass would have a greater force of gravity. Acceleration of an object is directly proportional to force(in this case force of gravity) and inversely proportional to mass, now I understand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted