Quantile function after Jacobian transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the median value of a random variable Y, which is a transformation of another random variable X. The pdf of X is known and the median of X is equal to X_M. The question is whether the median of Y, denoted as Y_M, can be calculated as a(X_M)^b+c. It is suggested to use an analytical approach rather than generating samples and using an empirical density function. The solution is given as Pr(Y>y_M)=0.5=Pr(X>x_M), which holds for any percentile of the distribution. An example is also provided with Y=X^2 and X having a ramp distribution. The median of X is calculated as √2-1.
WantToBeSmart
I am dealing with a random variable which is a transformation of another random variable of the form:

[tex] Y:=aX^b+c [/tex]

The pdf of the random variable X is known and for the sake of example let it be exponential distribution or any other distribution with known and commonly available quantile function.

If I want to know the median value of Y ,[itex]Y_{M}[/itex], then given that median of X is known and equal to say [itex]X_{M}[/itex] is [itex]Y_{M}[/itex] going to be equal to: [itex]a(X_{M})^b+c[/itex] ?

I suppose I could generate samples from the distribution of Y and use empirical density function to determine approx. quantiles but I'd rather go down the analytical route if possible

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solved (for the median and I omit c):

[tex] Pr(Y>y_M)=0.5=Pr(X>x_M)\\
Pr(aX^b>y_M)=0.5\\
Pr\left[X>\left(\frac{y_M}{a}\right)^b\right]=0.5[/tex]

It is true for any percentile of the distribution, just need to replace 0.5 and [itex]y_M[/itex] with appropriate expressions.

I suggest you look at an example like [itex] Y = X^2 [/itex] where X has a ramp distribution on the interval [itex] [-1,1] [/itex] given by the probability density [itex] f(x) = \frac{x}{2} + \frac{1}{2} [/itex].

I think the median of [itex]X [/itex] is [itex] \sqrt{2} -1 [/itex].

What is the quantile function after Jacobian transformation?

The quantile function after Jacobian transformation is a mathematical tool used to transform a random variable from one distribution to another. It is commonly used in statistics and data analysis to map values from one distribution to another, allowing for comparisons and analysis across different distributions.

How is the quantile function after Jacobian transformation calculated?

The quantile function after Jacobian transformation is calculated by taking the inverse of the cumulative distribution function of the transformed variable, multiplied by the Jacobian determinant of the transformation. This results in a new function that maps values from the original distribution to the transformed distribution.

What is the purpose of using the quantile function after Jacobian transformation?

The purpose of using the quantile function after Jacobian transformation is to allow for comparisons and analysis of data across different distributions. It can also be used to generate random samples from a transformed distribution, which can be useful in simulations and modeling.

What are some common applications of the quantile function after Jacobian transformation?

The quantile function after Jacobian transformation has many applications in statistics and data analysis. It is commonly used in finance and economics to compare and model data from different markets or time periods. It is also used in machine learning and data mining to transform data for analysis and prediction.

Are there any limitations or assumptions when using the quantile function after Jacobian transformation?

Yes, there are some limitations and assumptions when using the quantile function after Jacobian transformation. One assumption is that the transformation must be one-to-one and have a well-defined inverse function. This means that the transformation must not result in any duplicate values. Additionally, this method may not be applicable for non-linear transformations or when the Jacobian determinant is zero.