1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Computing

1. Jan 1, 2008 #1

My school offers this new course called Quantum Computing - it's offered by the Math Department.

Can somebody please explain to me what Quantum Computing is? What kind of math would be involved in this course? Number Thoery? Algebra? Etc..
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2008 #2
    Quantum computing uses the physics of quantum mechanics to perform calculations. You might check Wikipedia for a summary.

The math of quantum mechanics is predominantly linear algebra. Depending on the focus and applications explored, there may likely be an emphasis on group theory as well.

Of course, the best answer to any of these questions is the instructor themself. Only they can tell you what their course will cover.
  4. Jan 1, 2008 #3
    If coming from the math department, it'll probably be based mostly on the mathematics and less "physics" of it.
  5. Jan 1, 2008 #4
    If it's an introductory course in the math department, there should probably be a lot of computer science too; Turing machines, computability theorems, etc. in which case there will be a lot of logic and proof.
  6. Jan 1, 2008 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would have never guessed that you had an interest in quantum computing, qualgorithm!:rolleyes::biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?