Quantum Entanglement and extra dimensions?

In summary: There were attempts to derive quantum mechanics from classical mechanics by postulating nonstandard topology. I.e. we not only have two dimensions of space, but also additional higher dimensions that are not observed. However, these attempts have not been successful. There is no evidence that these extra dimensions exist.
somedudeonline
I recently heard one theory of parallel universes simply being extra dimensions (one thing string theory requires I believe). Well I also happened to be thinking about quantum entanglement. It is still unknown how this phenomenon works right? Well I had this idea that I suppose can't be disproved without finding the actual answer to quantum entanglement but I thought I'd gather some opinions anyhow.

What do you think about split photons being acted on by a property in one of the extra dimensions that string theory requires. In this dimension light is faster (instantaneous) or perhaps it's not even light but many other forces could be faster than light in such a dimension.

Physics news on Phys.org
somedudeonline said:
What do you think about split photons being acted on by a property in one of the extra dimensions that string theory requires. In this dimension light is faster (instantaneous) or perhaps it's not even light but many other forces could be faster than light in such a dimension.

Do you think that there is any existing evidence for the idea?

Do you think that the idea is specific enough to be tested and proven false?

Do you think that your idea might be considered speculative?

Do you think you have researched the area sufficiently enough to be coming up with your own hypothesis?

I might suggest that further study is warranted first. :smile: It might be better to learn about entanglement - a fascinating area by the way - before trying to explain it.

DrChinese said:
Do you think that there is any existing evidence for the idea?

Do you think that the idea is specific enough to be tested and proven false?

Do you think that your idea might be considered speculative?

Do you think you have researched the area sufficiently enough to be coming up with your own hypothesis?

I might suggest that further study is warranted first. :smile: It might be better to learn about entanglement - a fascinating area by the way - before trying to explain it.

I think that I'll be learning more about quantum entanglement as I move forward in life but I don't have the time to devote myself to learn everything about it nearly as quick as I could gather thoughts from those who know and understand the area. I'm not a physicist and I don't plan to be a physicist. I'm simply interested in the subject and had a thought occur to me that I wanted to share and gather opinions on.

somedudeonline said:
... I'm simply interested in the subject and had a thought occur to me that I wanted to share and gather opinions on.

Your time will be better spent learning than speculating. Try checking out the wiki articles if your time is limited. If that interests you, read an introductory book. I might recommend Amir D. Aczel's book titled "Entanglement".

DrChinese said:
Your time will be better spent learning than speculating.

Thank you for your concern. However, as previously stated I do plan to learn as I go through life. Speculating isn't all that I'm doing. Again, this thought simply popped into my head as I was reading about Quantum Entanglement.

If you plan to respond by stating that I should be learning rather than speculating again after the statement I just made then please hold your comment.

I was trying to be gentle because you are new.

Speculation is inappropriate here. If you have a specific question, please ask.

Thanks for trying to be gentle but I appreciate bluntness. And seriously speculation is inappropriate? I'll wait for some confirmation before I leave this forum. But in the meantime here is a perfectly specific version of my question.

What are your thoughts on my thoughts of quantum entanglement and forces acting on the photons via extra dimensions? A specific answer might be "I think that is a completely ludicrous thought and here is why..."

What are your thoughts on my thoughts of quantum entanglement and forces acting on the photons via extra dimensions?
No, quantum entanglement can not be accounted for classical forces acting in other dimensions.

Any multi-dimension theory would give you just another hidden-variables theory. There are no hidden-variables theories that can explain quantum mechanics and are at the same time local, realistic, consistent with relativity, and gave the Riemann-like topology of space.
An example of a hidden-variable theory is the Bohmian interpretation, but it explicitly violates relativity (superluminal motion).

Postulating higher dimensions will just give you a hidden variable theory.

Special note about the string theory. It is not a theory that tries to explain quantum mechanics in terms of classical mechanics. It tries to explain fundamental interactions and particle physics. The strings are already quantum by design. It is not like "vibrating classical strings yield quantum mechanics".

There were attempts to derive quantum mechanics from classical mechanics by postulating nonstandard topology. I.e. we not only have additional dimensions, but also they are non-Riemanian. A simple example might be a space with lots of tiny wormholes - one could call it "foam space". Important: it's classical foam, not quantum foam. The inherent randomness built into the space would give us apparent randomness of the quantum mechanics.

Another attempt I heard of was a "string concept" (not the same strings as in the string theory) that two entangled particles are connected with a string in a higher dimension. The problem with that approach is that it gives you superluminal communication, not the entanglement.

The problem with quantum mechanics is that it doesn't really postulate sumerluminal information exchange. It postulates correlation of distant events, which is not the same. All classical theories either give you too little (no FTL information exchange, no correlations) or too much (correlations, but also FTL information transfer).

One explanation might be that quantum mechanics simply can not be derived from any classical theory, FTL or not, no matter how many dimensions and what topology.

Likes 1 person
somedudeonline said:
And seriously speculation is inappropriate? I'll wait for some confirmation before I leave this forum.

Yes, it is part of the rules you agreed to when joining these forums (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380).

The reason for that is pretty simple. Speculation tends to attract crackpots creating "what if" scenarios for free energy, alien abductions, claims that the world is in fact flat, claims that relativity is wrong and all of science is just a huge conspiracy and so on. It is incredibly hard to define a line which involves a bit of speculation which cannot be abused. As the people around here write their posts in their free time and are not paid for it, the logical thing to do is to keep the amount of work as small as possible by outright banning speculation, so people can focus on what these forums are made for: good and reliable discussions on real physics.

somedudeonline said:
Thanks for trying to be gentle but I appreciate bluntness. ...

What are your thoughts on my thoughts of quantum entanglement and forces acting on the photons via extra dimensions? A specific answer might be "I think that is a completely ludicrous thought and here is why..."

You like bluntness, eh? :biggrin:

OK, well this isn't Jeopardy. You cannot turn a statement into a question and expect that now avoids the no-speculation issue (or win $50). Questions should be about elements of established science. That is something you should learn more about before you begin to speculate.

Now I realize that you don't appreciate someone advising you on how to learn science. By my estimation, you will leave PF rather than listen to what I am saying. However, the blunt truth is that there are thousands of scientific papers written annually on entanglement theory and experiment. You clearly have yet to scratch the surface on the subject.

Again, there is much fascinating to learn around the subject and around quantum physics in general. The best shortcut if you are pressed for time is to read a good book. There are many here who will be happy to give you some suggestions about books. So my suggestion is that you ask about a good book, buy it, and read a few pages every night as you go to sleep. You won't be sorry. After you gain some understanding about the subject, you will likely have questions about the material. Ask away on that! :smile:

somedudeonline said:
Thanks for trying to be gentle but I appreciate bluntness. And seriously speculation is inappropriate?

Yes, this forum is not for speculation or development of new theories. Cthugha has pointed you to our guidelines.

With that, this thread is now closed.

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two particles interact in such a way that their properties become entangled. This means that the state of one particle cannot be fully described without also describing the state of the other particle, even if they are separated by large distances.

3. What is the significance of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement has significant implications for quantum computing and communication. It allows for the potential development of technologies like quantum teleportation and quantum encryption, which could greatly advance our abilities in information processing and secure communication.

4. How are extra dimensions related to quantum entanglement?

Extra dimensions are a theoretical concept in physics that propose the existence of additional dimensions beyond the three spatial dimensions we are familiar with. Some theories suggest that these extra dimensions may be responsible for the entanglement between particles, but this is still a topic of ongoing research and debate.

5. Can quantum entanglement be used for faster-than-light communication?

No, quantum entanglement does not allow for faster-than-light communication. While the state of one particle may be affected by the state of the other, this does not allow for the transfer of information or communication between the particles at speeds faster than the speed of light.