Quantum Espresso make all error

In summary: Anyway, it is better to display the file rather than upload a .txt. If I am looking into a thread, I will be happier if I didn't have to download anything. And Google Drive isn't a practical option. Pastebin...would that work?Yes, Pastebin works.
ramana3797
TL;DR Summary
quantum espresso installation make all error
The system at my college died and I did a fresh install of ubuntu and tried to install quantum espresso after installing the required dependancies according to the instructions in the link "https://osuginoissp.wixsite.com/mysite/a-install-quantum-espresso" . But the make all command keeps showing error. I will attach the contents of the terminals in text file

Computer science news on Phys.org
i can't attach the file it doesn't show up after uploading it

this is the link to the file from my google drive

You have to go through these compilation messages from top to bottom and find the first error that occurs. Most, if not all, errors that come after that are probably caused by the first error. Can you find the first error in the log?

bigfooted said:
You have to go through these compilation messages from top to bottom and find the first error that occurs. Most, if not all, errors that come after that are probably caused by the first error. Can you find the first error in the log?
yes its on the 672nd line, after the make all command is executed but not sure what it means or how to fix it. i tried to search online but couldn't find anything.

ramana3797 said:
yes its on the 672nd line, after the make all command is executed
I don't see any line numbers in your file...

Also, are you concerned at all about the many warnings like this? "Warning: Nonexistent include directory"

When you use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window, you should be able to up load a TXT file. What was the file extension of the file that would not upload?

it is a .txt file and I opened it using notepad . don't know what to do about the warning. I tried to attach the txt file but it only shows the uploading progress then when i post the attached file is missing.

Hmm, maybe try again? How many bytes is the file? I wonder what the forum limit is for *.txt files...

this is the txt file

its 170KB

it isn't here

Yeah, weird. I tried copying the text to a new file and uploading it, but it's not working for me either. Working on it...

I'll try converting it to PDF to see if the uploader doesn't like something it is seeing in the TXT file...

Attachments

• Ramana.pdf
    256.7 KB · Views: 132
Okay, that worked. There must be some keywords in the TXT file that the forum software does not like, so it's blocking the TXT file. At least now people can copy the text out of the PDF file and into an editor that supports line numbers.

thanks for that

ramana3797 said:
yes its on the 672nd line, after the make all command is executed but not sure what it means or how to fix it. i tried to search online but couldn't find anything.
What is Error 127?

1670614610215.png

I think you're going to have to backtrack through your make report to figure it out. It's very long and of little use for diagnostics on its own.

The last error says it can't find some .mod files and errored out with a fatal message. Use those .mod names to backtrack and see if they failed to compile or link previously in the make report.

There's a warning just above the fatal one that say some include directory is missing. This may mean there's more code to be added or that some earlier step failed to create the include directory.

Just before error 127, it says 'm4 not found', which is a common package that should be installed. Error 127 is usually 'file not found' or something similar.

• Wow
Likes ramana3797, Wrichik Basu, berkeman and 1 other person
Good catch, so the m4 macro processor may be customizing/building some of the needed files based on the OS you are running on.

File under: Subject Lines That Look Nonsensical But Are In Fact Grammatically Correct

Likes Wrichik Basu and berkeman
bigfooted said:
Just before error 127, it says 'm4 not found', which is a common package that should be installed. Error 127 is usually 'file not found' or something similar.
I check and found that m4 was not installed and after installing it the make all command ran without error. thank you for your help.

Likes bigfooted, berkeman and Wrichik Basu
I'm amazed that @bigfooted could actually go through the file line by line! :bow: If I see a 1438-line file... :bugeye:

Anyway, it is better to display the file rather than upload a .txt. If I am looking into a thread, I will be happier if I didn't have to download anything. And Google Drive isn't a practical option. Pastebin is an excellent alterative if the code cannot be simply pasted here in the forum within code tags. In fact, Pastebin is made for such work.

Likes bigfooted

1. What is Quantum Espresso and how does it work?

Quantum Espresso is an open-source software package used for electronic structure calculations and materials modeling. It uses density functional theory (DFT) to solve the Schrödinger equation and calculate the properties of a material's electrons.

2. Why do I get errors when using Quantum Espresso?

Errors can occur in Quantum Espresso for a variety of reasons, such as incorrect input parameters, convergence issues, or technical difficulties. It is important to carefully check the input file and run diagnostics to identify and troubleshoot the specific error.

3. How can I fix errors in Quantum Espresso?

Fixing errors in Quantum Espresso can involve adjusting input parameters, increasing the number of iterations or convergence criteria, or making sure that the system is properly set up and compatible with the software. It may also be helpful to consult with other users or refer to the documentation for guidance.

4. Can I use Quantum Espresso for any type of material or system?

Quantum Espresso can be used for a wide range of materials and systems, including molecules, solids, surfaces, and nanostructures. However, the specific capabilities and accuracy may vary depending on the system and desired properties.

5. Is Quantum Espresso suitable for industrial or commercial use?

Quantum Espresso was primarily developed for academic research purposes, but it has also been used in industrial and commercial applications. However, it is important to carefully evaluate the accuracy and reliability of the results for the specific system and properties of interest before using it for such purposes.